Pages and cross-referencing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlmostThere, Mar 23, 2007.

1. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

I am using Pages to write a short document but cannot see how to create and manage figure / table / chart / etc. references.

For example, I have a number of charts calculated in Excel and want to reference them in the text. I would expect to create a new object, add a caption and a label and then have that availbable for the text body, where I can discuss the features and implications in greater detail (e.g. Figure N shows blah blah blah).

Ideally the document would manage numbering and such like as I change the layout. Obviously I can revert to Word, which I have found functional although somewhat clumsy but would like try and use Pages if possible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well the god of cross referencing is LaTeX, if you want to stick with Word/Pages-like applications in the past I've found OpenOffice (NeoOffice) writer to be pretty decent (ie better than Word).

3. AlmostThere thread starter macrumors 6502a

Latex is great but personally I find there are high overheads for short documents e.g. < 10 pages. In the past, I have had to use Word for compatibility as the number of people who know Latex is small outside certain communities but oncec over 100 or so pages, is a nightmare (not to mention that not all that many people know how to use Word 'properly' anyway).

This question is mostly about trying to use Pages for a short report - an it is not until using software on a few real examples that you can find these things out - to see if it does meet my basic requirements.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, unless you have all your LaTeX stuff setup with just a copy and paste to use a new file (like me), but is why I suggested NeoOffice too ;).