Pages: export to HTML

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abhishekit, Feb 1, 2005.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Has anyone tried exporting something from Pages to HTML. It is pretty bad. It doesn't even look like the original document :D . Images are all over the place. I was hoping to make use of some of the pretty templates there, but it just can't do it.

2. davidwes macrumors regular

Can we see some examples

Would you mind posting some screen shots / examples?
    Thank you

3. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That is pretty crap! I hope they can sort this feature out, it could become a real selling point if it was to ever work properly. Shame.

5. davidwes macrumors regular

wow

Thank you!!! I've been looking everywhere for some visual examples! I agree that is bad. I was really really hoping pages would became my web design program. .Mac Templetes are not nearly editable enough, and they don't seem to be working very hard giving us new ones! As soon as this came out I thought I figured out why .mac homepage seemed to be lagging. I guess I was wrong.
    David

6. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Quite funny i was actually going to start a new thread with the same topic. It is v bad tbh, nothing is in-line and pictures are everywhere, i was trying to write articals for my new upcoming website and exported them all to HTML and used .mac to test them. They came out completely screwed up, even in Safari.
    Is anyone else annoyed by this? I do like Pages and it is a kewl word processor to create wikid looking stuff but i was really excited about using it on my website because the pages could look really good.
    A fix soon with updates? If it is fixed will the HTML only work with Safari browsers?

7. davidwes macrumors regular

can we maybe get even more examples?

I would love to see other peoples examples as well.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTFLMAO. :p

Pages only exports SIMPLE HTML document types. It is by no means an HTML replacement application.

If all you have is a coloured page with text it will export to HTML 100% compliant. Pop in a few images and that is when you have trouble. ;) :)

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Grrr - I'm a professional Java/Web Services/Website developer (not a web designer - I couldn't design a good-looking website if my life depended on it). The one thing I hate is being forced to maintain HTML that has been generated by word processing packages - they're impossible to maintain and update even if they look good.

When I'm writing HTML/JSPs I write it using a text editor (www.gvim.org) using only <div> and <span> tags to separate out the sections, then I pass it off to a web designer who'll write the CSS for it. That way I let the other person worry about the layout and making it look good.

To see the advantages of separating content and layout like this, see http://www.csszengarden.com. I'll never again go back to using <table> for layout.

You should try this for your webpages - it has a learning curve, but in the end it's worth it.

10. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I think we are expecting too much from Pages here. It is a Word Processor/Page Layout application. It is not a Dreamweaver replacement application. I mean, we don't get upset that Word isn't a Dreamweaver replacement. Let's not forget the purpose of the program here. Just because it can export HTML doesn't mean it will replace a WYSIWYG HTML editing program.

11. davidwes macrumors regular

the templetes

Don't the templetes in pages remind you of the ones on .mac? As soon as I saw him demonstrate it, i immeditaly thought of homepage. If they can make somemany templetes for iwork, why not add more and more for homepage!!!

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I don't think that it would be expecting to much for Pages to export it's own templates into an HTML page that at least resembles the original. Word actually exports to HTML fairly well, better than Pages at least. Pages lacks a lot of features found in Word, but seems to be a modestly capable layout application. Exporting to HTML would seem to be a natural extension of a modern layout app.

I tried Pages at an Apple retail store, and exported a (newsletter) template without any changes to HTML and opened it in Safari. It looked like crap, just like the example above. With the fact that Pages uses CSS you would think they could prewrite the CSS file for the templates so that they would display semi-correctly.

Rob

13. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I used Pages and a template from Pages to create a Home Page, front page for a baseball replay and photos. I had no problems at all and everything looked great.

I didn't do anything special. I'm sure of it since I'm as rank a novice doing this stuff as their is!!

I just made sure all the names of everything matched all through.

Frank

14. davidwes macrumors regular

does anyone know where to download layout designs

Does anyone know a good webite for downloading web layouts?
    Thanks,
    David