Pages, file size ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MB Buyer?, Jun 19, 2006.

1. MB Buyer? macrumors member

I've never used pages, since i bought office mac 2004 when i bought my first mac. The thing that annoys me most about office is if you make a document, even a few pages long but add in a few jpegs (even fairly small ones) and suddenly the document is 8MB or something ridiculous.

Is pages any better in this regard ?

Thanks!

2. x86 macrumors regular

x86

The files become large because you are embedding them in your document. There should be an option to 'link' them which would solve your problem.

3. MB Buyer? thread starter macrumors member

yeah but then you have to keep the files organised with the images in the correct location, and if you want to send it to someone you have to send the entire folder - right?

4. x86 macrumors regular

x86

That is true. I don't know much about Pages, so I can't help you with that application, but have you tried the image compression tools using Office?

5. MB Buyer? thread starter macrumors member

yeah not much seems to help with Word.
    i was hoping for a simple solution too ... like yeah just use pages it's great:)

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No such problem with Pages -- unless you use the image controls to adjust the image. Then the files size grows substantially because it keeps the original plus the changed images within the document package.

7. MB Buyer? thread starter macrumors member

:) :)

fantastic, can i get a trial somewhere or do i have to just shell out straight up?

8. Cine macrumors newbie

I got a trial when I bought iLife. I don't know if you can download it anywhere.

I should warn you though, Pages is pretty different from Word. It took me a long time to get the hang of formatting and tables and everything in Pages. It might be that it's just me being dumb, though. :)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As the previous poster said, trial version discs are distributed with iLife '06 so you might be able to find someone who's got one. Also, if you live near an Apple store, they could probably also supply one. Worst comes to worst, the cost is only $79 from Apple and somewhat less from Amazon.