Pages, Notes, and Law School

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by craigatkinson, Aug 3, 2006.

1. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

I'm going to be attending my first year of law school in the fall and I'm trying to decide which word processor to use to take notes with. I'm leaning towards pages since it's native to intel and I already have it loaded on my machine. Does anyone have any tips on using pages for taking notes that might come in handy, or reasons why I should use a different program for taking notes on a mac?

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I use NeoOffice in law school and have no problems with it. It's fine to use, Windows compatible and free.
    I haven't tried out Pages, but I gather that spending a bit of time setting up templates is well worth it.

3. webcookie macrumors member

4. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I tried using Pages for some time, but because I like to take notes in a outline format, I've gone back to Word. Pages doesn't seem to have anything similar to the Tab/Shift-tab controls in Word for doing a quick outline indent/un-indent. As fast as you'll be typing, it's really not practical to go to the menu bar with your cursor every time you need to indent or un-indent. As much as I'd like to use Pages, I'd recommend using Word. You should be able to get a fairly cheap copy of Office through your school.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You might look at OmniOutliner as well, I believe it still comes pre-installed on new Macs (it was on my PB). It's pretty powerful, easy to use, and you can do some nice linking to other programs and file formats with it.

6. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I wouldn't mind giving OmniOutliner a shot, but it almost seems too feature rich. Also, my PB came with OO 2, and the upgrade to 3 is $20. I'd like to hear from people who use this for note taking - any advantages it might have over Word . . .

7. Sox macrumors regular

I really enjoyed using the notebook function in Word. If your prof will allow it, recording lectures directly into the notes is a tremendous study aid.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You might try setting up styles for all of your outline indents. Requires only a click to apply.

9. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

This sounds good, but I don't know what it means. Could you explain and give me directions on how to do this?

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure.

Start with a blank page, open up the Styles Drawer from the Styles icon (or View/Show Styles Drawer). You'll probably also want to show the rulers (cmd-r) to make setting the tabs/indents easier, but you can also use the Inspector pane for this. Now you can create styles by setting the fonts, indents, etc as you wish. Hover over the triangle for the currently selected style in the drawer, click and hold and you'll get the option of either redefining the style with the current selection or creating a new paragraph style from the selection. You can also make your styles reflect lists (Arabic, Roman, bullet, etc). Click on the tiny icons on the lower-right hand corner of the Styles Drawer to reveal the options (for character styles too).

For insuring consistency, I'd start with one base paragraph style, and then make changes from that one and save each of them as new styles, such as "indent 1", "indent 2" etc.

Style handling is one of Pages' real strengths. Whenever somebody says that Pages "isn't a word processor" I know they haven't discovered styles. ;)

Good luck -- let me know how it goes.

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That is what I used. It worked out pretty well....