Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So I have lots of experience with Quark but for some reason I can't figure out a simple little thing (and the Help program is not helpful either) on Pages.

I created a newsletter using the template provided on Pages 1.02 which reads education newsletter. It has a green background at the top behind some text. How on earth do I change the color of that background box. I have been through every menu item and can't figure it out. I tried dragging the color to the box and it worked when I created the box from the menu but i can't change the one that has already been created. Help!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
In the inspector pallette there is a button for Object (I think that is what it is called). In that pallette there is an option for the fill. One is a pull down menu that allows Color Fill, Gradient Fill, etc. When the Color Fill is selected there is a box with the color inside of it. Click on that and it will open the Color pallette and you cna then change the color.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
The green box is actually a text paragraph background colour.
Highlight all the text (in the unaltered template it is "Education Newsletter", down to "August 15th, 2005 Volume VII"), open the inspector, click on the Text tab, then the "More" tab. Make sure the "Paragraph Fill" check box is checked, then select the colour you want. (It might take a couple of attempts - my first attempt changed the font colour - just try it a couple of times)

Cheers

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
kiwi-in-uk said:
The green box is actually a text paragraph background colour.
Highlight all the text (in the unaltered template it is "Education Newsletter", down to "August 15th, 2005 Volume VII"), open the inspector, click on the Text tab, then the "More" tab. Make sure the "Paragraph Fill" check box is checked, then select the colour you want. (It might take a couple of attempts - my first attempt changed the font colour - just try it a couple of times)

Cheers
Not if you select the box object first. Should have mentioned that first. If you select the box then it is a box fill color.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I got it the first try:D using your method Kiwi! Thanks very much- I hate it when it is something very simple- for some reason I didn't go to the tab more?!?!

kgarner- I have tried to select the box but it won't let me. I imagine it is because in this newsletter it is like Kiwi describes it is background color for text. Maybe there is another way but I can't seem to be able to select the box. I made a shape and have no problems selecting that box and changing the color. It was just this background to the title text that puzzled me. I was also puzzled becuase in that particular newsletter they made the backround color behind the picures a text background box instead of just a box from the shapes menu.

another question: Is there a way to create a box from the objects item and then place text over that box or must background color for text always be done through the "more" menu?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.