Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontmatter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I fel like I'm running into more and more pages that don't fully support Safari, and I keep having to open mozilla (which is OK, I suppose, but I miss my google search thingy and the way tabs work). I've heard people say you can do something that makes safari look like explorer, and that will fix problems? Is this true? How is it done? Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
dontmatter said:
I fel like I'm running into more and more pages that don't fully support Safari, and I keep having to open mozilla (which is OK, I suppose, but I miss my google search thingy and the way tabs work).

You don't like Mozilla's "Google search thingy"? ;)

If you end up being "stuck" with Mozilla (my preferred browser), try the Googlebar. Actually try any of the many extensions available. They are trés cool.

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/

dontmatter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Why thank you. Now I get to spend many hours making mozilla as cool as can be, when I have much better things to be doing ;-)

Really, I just have to comment on your location.... I, too, am from the soggy part of the pacific northwest. That is, the pacific northwest. Back home on the west side of the cascades, I thought that was the soggy part (whereas some of the actual coast, is downright wet), but after a winter in walla walla.... yeah. PNW=soggy

macintaz

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2004
Make the web think safari is Explore

There 2 ways that I have done this
1. is my fav. that is tinkertool in the safari tab turn the debug menu and restart safari and then with in the debug menu select user agent and windows MSIE 6.0

2. is using safari enhancer does the same thing.

But still try opening them with safari most web sites check browsers so as they update the site they may add more safari function

Macintaz

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
dontmatter said:
Really, I just have to comment on your location.... I, too, am from the soggy part of the pacific northwest. That is, the pacific northwest. Back home on the west side of the cascades, I thought that was the soggy part (whereas some of the actual coast, is downright wet), but after a winter in walla walla.... yeah. PNW=soggy

Yeah, it's all soggy - it's just a question of degree. :D

Kinda funny to point out we don't get nearly as much rain as many places. We don't ever get midwest-style downpours; just a lot of gray days with perpetual drizzle.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
to put it in simpler terms:
versiontracker
safari enhancer

installs a "debug" menu that allows you to look like you are IE6 on winshmoo's. personally i wouldn't use it for online banking, i wouldn't want to risk it... but at 13, i don't really worry about online banking ;)

reality

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
macintaz said:
There 2 ways that I have done this
1. is my fav. that is tinkertool in the safari tab turn the debug menu and restart safari and then with in the debug menu select user agent and windows MSIE 6.0

2. is using safari enhancer does the same thing.

But still try opening them with safari most web sites check browsers so as they update the site they may add more safari function

Macintaz

You can do this without third party software, by folowing these steps:

1. Quit Safari
2. Open Terminal
3. Write 'defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1' and then return.
4. Open Safari.
5. Choose IE from Debug->User Agent.

To turn the debug menu off, repeat, replacing the '1' in step 3 with '0'.

This will not make Safari render the page like IE though, just pretend to be IE. For example, a page with malformed code will be displayed exactly the same, but a page that says 'You do not use IE, so we will not let you look at the site' will be displayed properly.

But as macintaz said, you should only do this when you really need to because otherwise webmasters will think more people use IE than really do, and will therefore continue using malformed code.

BTW, I'm assuming you're using plain Mozilla, not Firefox or Camino. Have you tried Firefox? It has a search bar, better tabbing than Mozilla (IMO), faster etc. You can get it here.

dontmatter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thanks all! gave some of these a shot, look promising. And, yeah, regular mozilla, I might just have to download firefox. Also, to, um....I forget the name, you've got it right-seattle get less rain than san francisco, ny city, boston, chicago, philly, and more. Just that, we get it almost every day. joy.
price of green

Maritan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Or!

You can also submit a bug report to Apple.

I did this for http://www.formula1.com and I didn't really expect Apple to do anything.

Magically, a week or so later, that website loads beautifully in Safari! Bye bye, IE!

aus_dave

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
You can keep up with what's happening with Safari here:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/

David Hyatt the Safari developer is doing an excellent job IMHO. I occasionally use Mozilla but I prefer Safari - the form buttons alone are so much more visually appealing :).

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
just going to toss in a second vote for NOT keeping MSIE6 selected in the DeBug menu all the time. we WANT people to see that you're using Safari. Use it on a site-by-site basis.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Maritan said:
You can also submit a bug report to Apple.

I did this for http://www.formula1.com and I didn't really expect Apple to do anything.

Magically, a week or so later, that website loads beautifully in Safari! Bye bye, IE!

Unless there was an update for Safari somewhere in there, I'd say the site got fixed, not Safari. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.