Pages Typography Sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doerak, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Doerak macrumors newbie

Well. This is really a bummer for me. I do not get this at all.

Hint: Check the 'ffi' characters.

Update: It is my own fault. I messed with the character spacing. :-(

[​IMG]

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's called "kerning" and it's actually the proper way to print text professionally. "Kerning" is the space between two consecutive letters. Certain letters, such as "f", which has an overhang, should be placed closer to the shorter letters such as "a" and "i". Also, rounded letters such as "o" and "e" should be placed closer together than letters with straight sides, such as "i" and "r". Kerning actually is also a feature of TextEdit.

Nothing like having a background in calligraphy. :D

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's not picking up that ligature properly.

Check the preferences... that's all I can suggest as I don't have a copy of Pages. You may need to insert special characters manually, which would be a pain... do a search in Pages' help for ligatures.

Ligatures are normally used in body copy sizes depending on the typeface, that may have a bearing... but that's just a wild guess.

About ligatures...

Nothing like having a background in typography... :D ;)

Edit: If you want that character to display & print properly it's Shift+Alt+5...

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Doerak, how did you get a copy of Pages? I thought it wasn't released until the 22nd.

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Glad to read this was your mistake.

Word's printing is very bad, and while I know I will suffer through the first couple of versions of Pages and the missing functionality, I was looking forward to switching just to support Apple, to have a better user experience, and to get better quality output.

I can't wait to try iWork and iLife. I hope they are here by Friday so I can enjoy them over the weekend.

:)

6. dav macrumors 6502

Let's not talk about it :rolleyes:

7. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

If it isn't for some people who run some kind of file sharing website who were smart enough not to let some mistake happen again, it would be quite easy to obtain some kind of prerelease version. But the beast may already be loose I'm afraid...