Pages will not open word documents

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Drew017, Apr 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Drew017

For some reason, Pages (09) will not open ANY word document. I can save a document in .doc format, but when I try to go back an open it, pages says the file can't be opened. Why? They will open in text edit.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.Pages.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

3. macrumors regular

musty345

Saving in different formats

Try saving your word document as a 'Microsoft Word 1997-2003' document, or saving them as PDFs, then try opening them.

Also, if you have an iCloud account, log into that, go into the iWork section and upload this document, then try and download it again or see if it lets you convert it.

I'm not sure if these to ideas will work but they're worth a shot.

4. macrumors G4

Um-m-m-m, no. They are not. It is true that Pages will import Word 1997-2004 format .doc files. Pages also does a beautiful job with Word 2007-2011 .docx documents.

Where you got the notion that a PDF file good substitute for a wordprocessing document is a mystery. Pages accepts PDFs as inserted graphics files. PDF files cannot be opened in Pages like .pages, .doc, or .docx files.

5. macrumors regular

musty345

Ah yes you're right about that, sorry, but wouldn't uploading the document to iCloud and converting it be a good idea?

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

I have deleted the preference file, but with no luck. I still need to open word docs...

7. simsaladimbamba

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

No, it still happens...

9. simsaladimbamba

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

I just downloaded the iWork update, and updated pages to 4.1. Now it works fine!

Ps- nice tip on deleting programs... I personally use the free app called App Cleaner, which is an easy way to delete the files associated with a specific program.