Pages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainCaveMann, Apr 8, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

How do i get Apples new word processor? My new ibook didnt come with it. All i got was a coupon for ilife. Ilife doesnt come with pages if im correct. The macs i was using in the apple store all had Pages on them so i figured it came in all the new macs. :confused:

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Apple store, either on-line or bricks and mortar. Amazon sells it (small discount).

3. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Appleworks and iLife come with all new macs. You have to purchase iWork (Pages and Keynote) seperately. If you need a wordprocessor there is one in Appleworks and also Textedit.

4. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Textedit is not a word processor haha. Its good for html but thats it. Do you guys think Iwork is just as good as M$ 2004 for mac? It is a huge price difference and im on a budget. I need a good word processor for school.

5. anjaki macrumors member

The PowerBook only comes with iLife, or at least mine did.

6. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

My new ibook didnt come with ilife. Also i found most of what im looking for in the thread below titled " Iwork worth it". Thanks all.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually, I do most of my creative writing in TextEdit. It gets out of the way and stays there.

Visit the other thread in this section on iWorks for more opinions about Pages. I like it.

MS Office gives me the hives. I'd sooner write on the back of a paper sack.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Lol, I agree. Word makes me want to stab myself repeatedly.

iWork kicks ass for school.

9. Bear macrumors G3

*BZZZZZZZZZZZT Wrong.

Actually the PowerMacs and PowerBooks come with iLife and but not AppleWorks.

iMacs/iBooks/eMacs/MacMinis come with both AppleWorks and iLife.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i really like pages, i use it for everything, consider this a giant thumbs up.

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

TextEdit is a very good word processor. It can handle different fonts and image formats within a document and comes with a very nice set of features which can be extended even further with the help of services. You have control over ligatures and kerning, things many actual word processors are missing.

How is it not a word processor? What is it missing that makes it not qualify?

For me, TextEdit handles everything I need up to the point where I need to move to a page layout app.

12. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Auto double spacing. Header options.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't know about your copy, but my copy of TextEdit has double-spacing.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah it has double-spacing. I use it to type up all my documents for school. Works great. Like the other poster says, it gets out of my way, and stays there. Exports pretty damn well to Word too. Reads Word files pretty well on top of that.

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, maybe you could add some things to your system. For example, in the area of line spacing (among things) I have found that TextExtras (by one of the original people who developed TextEdit) gives me a ton of control over that.

[​IMG]
    TextExtras Text Attributes panel

There are a number of services I use to extend TextEdit which include (along with TextExtras):These round out TextEdit's features quite nicely.

As for headers and footers, that is when I take the next step up to a page layout app like Create.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Why do you need WordService? TextEdit already opens Word documents nicely...

17. RacerX macrumors 65832

First, only the version of TextEdit that came with 10.3 works with Word documents.

Second... that isn't what WordService does. WordService provides a ton of handy word processing tools via the services menu as seen below.

[​IMG]
    WordService's items in Services menu
    (highlighted in green)

[​IMG]
    Convert submenu

[​IMG]
    Format submenu

[​IMG]
    Insert submenu

There is AntiWord service which does open Word docs for people using pre-10.3 versions of TextEdit, but that is not what this is.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another enthusiastic vote for WordServices! I've been using this very handy utility for years and wonder how anybody can get along without it, especially if they do any desktop publishing. The Reformat command is worth the price all by itself.* It (and all other Services) work in Pages, BTW -- something I really missed in AppleWorks.

*Free!