Pain in the iPhoto - creating backups of your images?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qtip919, Aug 3, 2005.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Im not sure if iPhoto already does this, but I was wondering:

When you manipluate (change) a picture, is another copy created? Or, is there some way in which this could be done automatically?

I frequently like to crop images, change them to black-and-white, etc. - however, I do not want to permanently change the original, rather - I would like to have these "changed" versions of the picture stored right along side of the original ... something like:

"family_photo_1.jpeg"
    "family_photo_2.jpeg"
    "family_photo_3.jpeg"
    etc.

It would be great if these images could "hide" behind the original as in a stack a la apple's fabled file structure feature that supposedly was going to do this...

Anyone find an easy solution to this?

For now, I have been dragging and dropping the photo I am in the process of manipulating to a special folder on my desktop called "photo_backups"

Still, this is less than optimal...

Anyone out there want to assist/teach me how I could get an automator script to do this?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Well, iPhoto always stores the original. You can ctrl click to 'revert to original' but that doesn't help if you want to keep the one you amended.

Depending on what you're doing, I'd use the 'duplicate' option at various points in the process.

So if you know you want all the images cropped, I'd crop it and then duplicate it. If you plan in changing the tints hues, I'd duplicate the original and work off that. You'll be able to 'revert to original' from any of your duplicates.

3. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

yah, I guess creating another copy manually is just good practice when manipulating photos, and alot easier than storing them in another folder. I should have known there was a copy and store function!

4. SkAlex macrumors member

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but this seems like a good place to ask: Is there any way to throw away the original once I've cropped a photo? I have some scanned photos that I've cropped, and I'm confident that I don't need to hang on to the original scanned version.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    iPhoto Diet will remove your originals if you think you no longer need them

But it doesn't yet work with iPhoto 6

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Perfect! Freed up over 300 Mb in my library. Thanks for the link.