Painful left knee

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jamesmcd, Mar 10, 2007.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Hey all,

Last week I somehow damaged my left knee, and it was so painful that I couldn't run all week. I usually run about 10 kilometers every day, so this has been a very lazy 7 days for me. I could however, still bike perfectly easily with no pain, so basically the knee just couldn't handle the full body weight being slammed against it when you run.

Anyway, I felt the knee get better yesterday and decided to do a run, which went fine for the first 6 km, and then packed a sad and went bloody painful, so I stopped.

Today, it's pretty stiff, and sore, largely thanks to the run I did yesterday.

So my question is aimed at those with knowledge and/or experience with this sort of thing. Have I done serious damage to my knee? or is this fixable with physio? or should I just leave it to see how it feels in a week?

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
  3. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Nope, none at all. I think this might be the bit where the knee cap joins everything. Sorry for my lack of anatomy jargon, I study Management at University.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    You only gave yourself 7 days to heal after feeling pain?

I don't think you need to be an Exercise Science major to know that this wasn't smart.
  5. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    My wife tore some cartilage in her knee and it took over a week to begin to swell enough for her to seek doctor's advice. You say it isn't swelling, though. It might be worth a doctor's visit.
  6. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
    knees are precious things -- take care of them!

i broke cartilage in my knee which required surgery. but it broke due to a fall.

pain in the knee can also be caused by a too-tight ligament on the outside of the knee which causes the knee to track improperly. they can cut the ligament surgically and "release" the kneecap (i had this done too and i couldn't be happier).

i'd get it checked out.
  7. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
    Just go to the doctor.

It could be serious and a week is not long enough to allow for healing.