Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dawgz

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
My wifi isn't slow but is showing 2-3 bars when I'm sitting right next to the router. Is anyone else getting this also?? Any explanation??

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Ran a continuos ping against my iPhone. This would explain a lot:
56 packets transmitted, 13 packets received, 76.8% packet loss

Ill keep fidgeting with it and update this thread if I find anything.

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
Confirmed : iPhone 5 WIFI real slow.

+ with Macbook Pro : 22 Mbps down , 5 Mbps up , 18 ping
+ with iPhone 5 : 4 Mbps down , 1 Mbps up , 44 ping

Hope will be fix on iOS 6.0.1 ( or 6.1 )

dbslayer

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I changed my router back to WPA2 and will just use LTE. Other computers were slower using WEP :(

Same for me .. LTE is faster than my 100Mbits home internet!

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
So here is my network setup. Cable modem -> latest gen Time Capsule(latest firmware). Running strictly N mode on both bands. All devices are on the 5GHz band. When running a continuous ping against my iPad, or my wife's iPhone 5, I get 0% packet loss. However, the same ping test ran at the same time to my iPhone 5, I get roughly 80% packet loss every time. Guess I will be contacting Apple to get my phone replaced. This is insane! I haven't even had the phone for 24 hours yet. :mad:

Last edited:

brberg

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Having the same issue here. Really pissed off that Apple of all companies wouldn't have performed more thorough wifi testing. Hopefully we'll have a solution or workaround by tomorrow.

TheCakeIsALie

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
might be a 5ghz issue. i was getting slow speeds and disconnects on the 5ghz band, but after i switched to the regular 2.4ghz one it's been fast and stable

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
ever since setting up my iphone 5, my wifi will go down (whole network, not just lose connection to my phone) every so often. it'll only stay down for 2 minutes or so, but it goes down.

WTF?

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
might be a 5ghz issue. i was getting slow speeds and disconnects on the 5ghz band, but after i switched to the regular 2.4ghz one it's been fast and stable

I tried the 2.4 band and it did not make a difference. I was 4 feet from the wireless router when doing the testing.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
My family has 2 iphone 5's - one has zero problems on wifi - another one is crazy slow and cuts off frequent.

:(

scapla

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Wpa/wpa2

There's a thread on the Apple Support Communities forum on this issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714?start=45&start=0

I discovered that when using WPA/WPA2 security on my Belkin N600 router my wifi speeds were really slow. When I changed the security to 128 bit WEP (or removed it entirely), the speed increased to what I was getting on my iPhone 4. Hope this helps...

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Both 4s and 5 ran network diagnostics and http://speedtest.net with similar results at the limit of our ISP through dual band AirPort Extreme.

The 4s on G and the 5 on N also with the same results.

Sounds like a hardware problem with your phone.

If you are going to swap at the store anyway try a restore as new, don't restore any backups and repeat your testing.

brberg

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Changing my wireless router settings to WEP did improve the speed. However, it's still much slower than it should be over wireless N. I'm getting 6 down and 1 up, whereas my iPad 3 is getting over 15mbps down and up (Fios). My wife just got her iPhone 5 today as well and the same problem exists. Really frustrating since I want to use wireless 90% of the time :(

Bxy95

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
It depends how you hold it! Running the speedtest.net app I get 27mb dl and 9mb up every time if I set it down, 1-2mb up and down, and occasional pauses, if I'm holding the edges.

snoz

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
case issue

if you have a case on your iphone 5, try taking it off and running the speed test again.

if that doesnt work: settings > general > reset > reset network settings

brberg

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
None of the above solutions have worked for me. Not to mention, the battery appears to be draining faster - likely due to some antenna issue where it's having to gain up due to poor signal.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I changed the name of my guest network and completely left it unsecured. All is right in the world again. Definitely looks like a WPA issue. Now if Apple can get off their ass and patch this, that would be great. This problem should have never made it this far.

Vengeful

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
My iPhone5 (46 ms ping) and IPad (15ms ping) both downloading similar speeds, iPhone half a mb faster on uploads. Ran the tests a couple of times same results no problem here.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Same issue for me as well. For me it is all encrypted networks. This needs to be fixed ASAP. This seems to either be a very widespread hardware issue or a software issue. Do you think it is worth it to try and get a replacement? or just wait it out and see what Apple does?

Last edited:

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
My wifi and "4g" Data are slow. 1.7mbps for att when I used to get over 5mbps in the same location. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.