paint chipping off my 12 PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by saabmp3, Aug 12, 2004.

1. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I have a 1.33 GHz 12 inch PB (the brand new one) and after only 3 or so months of (heavy) use, all of the paint is starting to chip off the palm rest on the right side. I know this was a problem with my old 667 DVI PB, but I thought they said they fixed it with the alum case?

Help, can they replace this as it's not abuse and I know that I'm going to get knocked on the resale value because of it.

BEN

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I've never heard of this with the aluminum powerbooks. I thought there wasn't any paint on them, so there is nothing there to chip off. Not that I doubt you, but are you able to post some pics so we can check it out?

3. Logik macrumors 6502a

*looks at his 15 pb carefully...* i sure hope this doesn't chip off... yikess...

4. saabmp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I added a picture of the paint. That long scratch is right where my hand goes and is from my skin only. I NEVER wear my watch with this computer. The little pitts are also right under my hand and seems to be from rubbing.

:(

BEN

Attached Files:

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

That's some toxic skin you got there!

Lee Tom

6. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I really don't think there is paint on the powerbook, so it can't be chipping. Perhaps the metal is corroding? Anyone have any other ideas? If you are close to an Apple Store you could ask a Mac Genius to take a look at it to see if the damage is something Apple will cover.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

looks like grease and dirt to me. try cleaning it off with some rubbing alcohol.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont think the pb have paint, its anodized aliminium

9. saabmp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So why is mine doing this?? I guess I'll have to call apple tomorrow and see what they can do about it.

BEN

10. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The aluminium is corroding due to your skin acids and oils. The anodized surface is supposed to form a protective barrier, you've obviously had a small scratch which has exposed the aluminium underneath and allowed it to oxidize.

I doubt Apple will do anything about it, this is usually considered normal wear and tear or they may consider it abuse.

11. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

So I guess my corrosion theory above might be right. Sadly, I doubt that Apple will fix this for you. They will simply dismiss the problem as "cosmetic," and tell you it is not covered by your warranty.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its not just a slight cosmetic problem. Its his own doing, so no, Apple isn't responsible.

Have you tried cleaning it?

13. brap macrumors 68000

I have this oxidisation in patches where my scabby cousin used my laptop... gah. Rubbing alcohol, you say?

I'm also considering getting the Dremel on it, give it a bit of a polish, although this could potentially be more harm then good :eek:

14. m4rc macrumors 6502

This is not new. It is pitting caused by oxidizing of the metal. Apple will do nothing. Currently I am talking to Trading Standards in the UK about this, as mine is quite bad. The quote from Apple was it is from 'excessive use'. I use the PB every day for several hours, and most other people do too. This is my work tool.

Trading Standards also have many other complaints against Apple refusing to look at this issue and are looking at a test case against them if the persist in their refusal to do anything. In the UK you can't hide behind a 1 year warranty - although you can try - and a limited warranty at that. Goods must last and at nearly £1800 this PowerBook is not in the condition it should be. Yes my hands are clean blah blah blah, but as Trading Standards say it doesn't actually matter - an area designed to have your palms/wrists rested on should be made to do exactly that.

I don't intend to give up. I can buy a new top panel for the PB but have been quoted £160, so am just going to pursue Apple until they sort it out under warranty. Currently all Apple are interested in when I call is me buying AppleCare, which I am refusing to do out of principal until the last minute, as they don't seem to care about you unless you have taken out an extended warranty! Besides, anything that would be covered under this warranty is, in theory, legally, covered free of charge anyway as the laptop has to be fit to do the job it was designed to do. Although arguing THAT with Apple will be too much!

15. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

DO NOT polish this surface. By doing that you'll only expose more unprotected aluminum to oxidation.

Aluminum is an active metal, and doesn't hold onto its electrons very tightly. Once you get past the anodized surface (via that scratch, I guess), the aluminum's electrons would be easily stolen by another metal like iron or stainless steel. OR perhaps the electrons are being stolen by another metalic component in your pb. In any case, once aluminum loses electrons - becomes oxidized - it becomes acid-soluble and probably ends up on your palms. I don't know that there's a solution to this one. You've got to somehow reseal the surface of the palmrests.

charlie

16. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

I have the same problem with my 17"incher. I don't have any scratches, but I do have corrosion marks on both palm sides and on the trackpad button.

17. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

It's definatly oils from your palms. Keeping the machine in a cool place like 76 degrees F is a good temp to keep it at. That prevents your palms from sweating and getting all over the machine.

18. saabmp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to keep the machine in a specific heat while using it or wipe it down every 10 minutes. This is work machine, I'm not using it to play games or anything and this isjust an unacceptable problem. It seems like alot of other people have gotten this issue fixed by presticance so I think I'm just going to have to do that. Apple should have designed a case that wouldn't get screwed up by normal use like this.

BEN

19. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Agreed. You buy a computer to use it, not to put in a glass case to show it off. How can Apple tell you the damage is caused by "excessive use?" What do they expect? That you should use your computer only for a certain amount of time each day? If they truely believe that the damage is caused because you use your powerbook too much, they should be required to list a number of hours you can use the computer each day before it is considered "excessive." Of course, if you list in the store with all the other specs that if you use your $2000-$3000 computer for more than 2 hours a day it's not covered by the warranty, you aren't going to make very many sales.

On the other hand, while cosmetic issues are unsightly, they do not effect the performance of your computer. You can still use your powerbook for everything that you could on the day you bought it, only it's not as pretty now. However, physical appearance has always been a large selling point for Macs, especially the powerbooks, so I think Apple should take cosmetic issues more seriously. You don't expect the looks of your computer to degrade over time unless you do something to hurt them.

20. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

You could just scrape off all the protective layer so it'd be even all over.

21. m4rc macrumors 6502

...And, I plan to sell this machine when G5 PB's are released, I won't get so much with it cosmetically damaged. Greed, not really, we all know Apple reslae prices are good and I too would like to be able to take advantage of that. I will have to offer big discounts with it in its present state.

22. jamiep macrumors newbie

How to get it replaced for free

If you want the corrosion fixed, simply bring it it and tell them that the trackpad has been acting sporatic. They will replace the whole top case including the palm-rest area.

no biggie. -j

23. phonic pol macrumors regular

Just a thought but how about using the iclean product for flat panel screens. I bought some the other day and it claims to leave a protective polymer layer on the screen - this could bode well for the ali surface also.

24. Logik macrumors 6502a

http://www.imakproducts.com/products/smart_glove.htm

i use those, not only will they probably help from wear and tear on the pb's finish but they also help my wrists feel nice and good when i'm typing and using a mouse.. anyone who has sore wrists from typing and all definately check them out they are really nice.