Paint-like program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calebjohnston, Mar 14, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm looking for an app to just combine images and etc. to create a picture. Anyone know where I can get one?

2. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

If you've got a Mac...

...try Appleworks, and open up a Drawing or Painting document. Hopefully one of those will do the trick.

3. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Adobe has a pretty good app called 'Photoshop' that can probably do what your talking about. :cool:

4. superwoman macrumors regular

I use Gimp. It's open source, so you're free to try it out. My only complaint is that it is not native aqua, so the interface is a bit slow.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes Photoshop CS2 is pretty good for such tasks. Just remember, you need to have 16 gigs of RAM, so it would run at normal speed :rolleyes:

6. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Pshh.. It runs just fine on a 1.5GHz G4 with 1.25GB of RAM. It does, however, take about 3 times as long to load (initially) than Final Cut Pro HD.

I find that ironic, and slightly amusing.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

8. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

that art rage 2 program is pretty cool. I don't think I'd spend the money to buy it, but the free version's sample stuff is pretty nifty.

9. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

10. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Yeah, the free version is really cool .. I might buy the pro version if I ever get into digital painting and/or get a wacom tablet. They're working on a Universal version, once that comes out I'll be a happy camper.

11. Roba macrumors 6502

I am looking for a paint program to that is similar to the Paint program that comes free on Windows. I would like to able to crop with it as well so i would like to that be a tool also.

I tried downloading Palette but i could not open it. Does anyone you know what i would have to use to open .sit files?

Thanks

12. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

You can crop in preview, just select the crop tool, select what you want to keep then press command-k.

As for combining photos etc I recommend fireworks or photoshop. if you have a new intel mac i suggest you made the wrong decision and should have waited till these programs were ub's!!! :p

13. Roba macrumors 6502

Occasionally i do need to edit text based scanned or saved documents and pictures and i found that the Paint before on Windows was good for editing documents by using the crop tool.

Children also sometimes use my notebook and I would like something quite basic. I have also tried Photo Shop before but i would ideally like something a little more basic in design like Paint.

I have a MBP and i also have I Work 06. Appleworks was recommended earlier and i may buy that. It is a shame that Apple do not produce a simple paint program in the bundle for their software for OS.

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

.sit files are StuffIt Archives. For a long time, .sit was the Mac equivalent of .zip on a PC, although that's changed a lot recently, and they're actually somewhat unusual now. Anyway, go to www.stuffit.com and download the free expander program.

15. Roba macrumors 6502

Thank you that worked great. I downloaded the Palette and opened it but it was to basic.

It seems a shame for me to shell out £65 on Appleworks which has a word processor ( I have I Work 06 which also has a word processor etc) so that i make us of the Paint program but i guess it is just what i am going to have to do now.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you're going to spend that kind of money and you don't need the other functions of Appleworks, why not just get Photoshop Elements? It will do everything you need and more. And did you try Seashore or any of the other suggestions?

17. Roba macrumors 6502

Thank you, i had a look at Art Rage 2 before and Poster Paint and they wasn't quite what i was looking for. The Poster Paint is a good tool but it doesn't have some of the tools that i need.
    I just looked at the Seashore link and downloaded it and it is great and something like that was really what i was after.
    I may consider buying the Photoshop Elements that you suggested maybe in the future instead of the AppleWorks because of your suggestion. But for now i will work with the Seashore and see how i get on with that because that seems to be a good tool.

18. adese macrumors member

adese

Photoshop, of course as we all know if virtually the best and the industry standard, but it is beaucoup $$.

If you would like something comp to that but free, try Gimp. Here is the link:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/gimpapp.html

like mentioned before, the performance is alright, I find the major drawback to be that it is in an x11 enviro, which can be cumbersome if you are used to photoshop.

19. Roba macrumors 6502

I bought Corel Painter Essentials 3 today. I downloaded the demo version of Corel and Photo Shop and i found Corel more user friendly for me so i bought it. I loved working with the Corel and I am looking forward to receiving it.
    I have used Photo Shop in the past and i never hardly used it. There was just something about the design that didn't appeal to me. With Corel i know that i will use it. If i need to do any photo editing i will just do them in the I-Photo.

I couldn't get the Photo Shop Elements to work on my MBP when i downloaded it but i could see what the basic set up was like.

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you're into pixel art (the kind of art that uses a small image size and large zoom factors) there's a Mac program that handles it. It's called Pixen, and it can be found here. Unfortunately, it has some bugs, it isn't a Universal Binary yet, and no updates have been posted to the developer log for almost 6 months.

21. mpw Guest

22. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

If you are into painting/graphics, I would suggest the real things, such as Corel Painter IX and Photoshop CS2. There are many books which teach you how to use both programs effectively to produce nice works. I am playing with CS2, MX2004, Corel Painter, and Alias Sketchbook Pro as I am learning computer graphics on my own.