Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Photoshop Elements?

But to be honest, I've never used Paint Shop Pro. Photoshop (the full version) has always been the tool of choice for me.

I'm afraid that you may just have to learn to use some new software unless you want to run Paint Shop Pro on Virtual PC.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/photo-editing-software/fullstory.html

I bought Corel Painter X off of ebay very cheap. Because a mac doesn't even come with something like MSpaint. Does it have any image editing funcionality? How is it comparable to Corel Paint Shop Pro. It's features look imense, I haven't sorted through even 1/4 th of them.

marty1foryou

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
kaleidoscope?

Does anybody know where i can find a same tool as kaleidoscope as in paint shop pro?

oldhickory

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Austin City Limits
I want my PSP!

The kaleidoscope is only one of the many features that I have to have, too. I am currently struggling with getting Parallels up and running so I can run PSP on my mac. It's been very problematic. I'll check back in, after a few more days of torture and let you know how I'm doing. Given all the issues I have had so far it's probably not a good time to report my results. A step forward, three steps back. Two steps forward, a step back. Maybe I'll have good news later.

Seidreken

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
I just now found a software called drawit. The website is getdrawit.com and I noticed its a lot like paintshop pro. you can also try a free trial, but if you want to buy it it is $39.99

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Pixelmator hands down, also has Photoshop file support and its based on CoreImage (using you graphics card for processing) which Photoshop doesn't even have yet until CS4 comes out.

Well worth the $59(USD)

oldhickory

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Austin City Limits
I want my PSP!

Well, I finally got parallels to run but I can't seem to get files back and forth from mac to pc--I guess I screwed up installation on windows and did not allow access to files for both OS....crap.

What I miss SO FAR about PSP... as someone mentioned, distortion correction is a big factor...and the ability to make graphics--type--like title slides for my slide shows using--oh, I don't know, TYPE?!

Very annoying....I'll guess I'll check out the last couple of suggestions...I know, I shouldn't winge but... neither Iphoto or aperture have these features? Seems pretty basic to me...

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Corel bought Jasc

For such a basic tool, it's truly amazing that only Jasc PSP could get it right, however I lost all hope for PSP when Corel bought Jasc. Still wish I could play an old version of PSP on a Mac. No, I won't be installing Windows. My solution is to keep an old PC around dedicated to photo editing and transfer files with a keychain.

When Apple got started, they were the leader in graphics. What happened? :eek:

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I'd sell my relatives for PSP on the Mac - I use it extensively in VMWare, it's still better than anything on OSX in the same price range. GIMP no longer works for me since I installed Leopard and borked X11, but I don't like GIMP's interface much anyway - PSP (for the most part) gets it right. Seashore doesn't do enough, and I'm not sure about Pixelmator - I do a lot of vector work in PSP, and I need a similar set of features.

And the other thing I badly need is a GIF animation tool. Animation Shop, which comes with PSP, is diabolically bad, and the only Mac tool I found - Pixen, whose developers seem to have disappeared - was never finished, crashes repeated under Tiger and won't even run under Leopard. It's open source, too, it's a pity no-one has picked it up and worked on it.

Mohawk5

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
What I like about PSP is its user friendliness for lay folks like me. I have an Intel Mac Mini, and run Parallel desktop on it in "coherence mode". That permits me to run all the windows programs, such as PSP, that I like and I haven't abandoned. I use them together with my Mac programs.

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Parallel

Hi Mohawk5. Thanks for your input. How well does PSP run on Parallel? What is "coherence mode"? Do you use a graphics tablet? :confused:

The reason I have shied away from Parallel is that PSP even on my old PC gets balky when I get too much in active memory. Probably my PC is getting too old. I don't mean the going back and forth to the hard drive. That would be really balky. Anyway, I'm just concerned about performance issues with Parallel. Any feeling for those issues?

mnemo

macrumors newbie
PSP still gets my vote...

As an AMX programmer I have found PSP and Animation Shop are a vital part of my working life. Especially the ability to export an animation frame by frame. I've only recently become a MAC user and would love to see a version of PSP for MAC. I purchased a full version of CS3 (my daughter is a MAC wiz) but cannot get my head around Photoshop - let alone the rest of the suite. No doubt I need to spend more time with these programs but my feeling is the MAC werld needs a program like PSP for us 'oldies'... ;)
Cheers all
RN

dgungadoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
PSP featured missed...

I mainly miss the perspective correction that Paint Shop Pro offered. (Select the 4 corners that need to be square/rectangle - and voila).
Even the latest version of Adobe Photoshop CS4 makes this simple process complex.

As far as quick auto-retouching, I find that Google's Picasa for Mac works well.
For professional use however, I would use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom or Aperture, but please Corel, why don't you make at least a perspective correction plugin for Photoshop ?

(the closest one I found was http://www.vicanek.de/plugins/perspective.htm but it's still much harder than PSP !)

Also, encourage everyone you know to sign this petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/psp4mac/petition.html

pixiesusan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
psp so missed

I switched to Mac 2 years ago and love it except for no Paint Shop Pro. I loved PSP best when it was with Jasc. I could draw with it, manipulate photos - pixel by pixel. You could do everything with it.

I have Elements and if you can draw easily with it I don't see how. I can't figure out a way to float text in it. Wow this is a HUGE gap for Mac. I've downloaded about 10 trials of graphics programs and none come close to PSP. it was so easy to use. Guess I'm going to fire up that PC in the basement after all.

Susan

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
That's my solution exactly, Pixie. Keep the old PC just for PSP.

Soon I'm going to cut the PC off the internet and get rid of all those annoying Updates of Windows, AVG, and Firewall. Anyone know an easy way to cut off those updates in XP? :confused:

Years ago there was some "not ready for prime time" software from Corel. Corel still seems hopeless. Seems like the only hope for PSP for the Mac is to sell PSP back to JASC. :mad:

Putting Parallels and XP on a Mac boggles my mind. I can't stand the idea. And I bet it's not fast. Anyone with experience? Can you supersize that with a Wacom tablet?

Photoshop has such an awkward user interface. And a tough learning curve. And expensive. I'm just an old grouch, but the worst-dressed software companies starting from the bottom are Corel nowhere, HP dumpware (what you get with their printers), Adobe mudware, and MS bloatware. :mad:

Aperture seems to be coming along. There are apparently some good plug-ins to do some of the PSP stuff, but I haven't tried them yet. Again, anyone with experience? I hope I'm not too old to learn Aperture. :confused:

There's a cute app for iPhone called Brushes ($4 or so). Haven't tried it, because I'm not an artist. There's some YouTube of 3X speed painting. There was a recent New Yorker cover done with Brushes on a phone. :eek:

Have you noticed that Apple stores are jammed to the gills with customers? I've never in all my life seen a retail store like this. A NYC store had $300 million sales? Excuse me, I have to go buy some :apple: stock.

pblanton

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
That's my solution exactly, Pixie. Keep the old PC just for PSP.

I too am a new mac User. I bought my daughter a new 15" Macbook Pro for her birthday back in March. About two months ago my wife was aching for a new lappy and she mentioned those tiny netbooks as a solution, but I was smitten with my daughter's MBP, so I bought her a new 13" MBP.

Needless to say, once I got my hands on her MBP, I was too far gone. I just ordered my own 15" MBP unibody and the only thing I really miss is my PSP.

That said, my new unibody 15" MBP runs Windows 7 Like a champion in Boot Camp. I know many of you would cringe at installing Windows on a Macbook, but really... The MBP in BootCamp runs Windows better than any other lappy on the market. For now, Just install PSP on the Windows 7 (Vista???) boot camp partition and get rid of any left over Windows machines. Let's face it... We all need a windows app from time to time. Apple has made it wicked easy to move to mac as long as you have a BootCamp partition set up with a Windows OS for those few Windows apps that you just can't do without.

Add me to the list of people clamoring for a new PSP for mac. I'd pay up to $150 for it.

pblanton

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
For more info - Just so you know where I am coming from...

I have a new 15" Macbook Pro with the expresscard slot. You real newbies with the 15" MBP only have an SD card slot (That's an argument on its own and not relevant to this thread.) Since I have the Expresscard slot, I bought a $12 SD card adapter and an $8 eSata adapter to use with this mac.

I also upgraded my 360GB hard drive to a 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive. I put the left-over 360GB hard drive in a "Rocketfish" external enclosure that has eSata support. I use my external drive to hold and run my Windows 7, and Windows Vista development environments (I am a .NET developer for a living).

I have 100GB of my speedy 500Gb drive assigned to BootCamp and have Windows 7 and PSP installed on it. So, as you can see, I run Windows on my new MBP all the time. Even on VMWare Fusion, Windows runs better on my MBP than it ever has on any PC I have ever owned.

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Bootcamp & VM

Many thanks for your update Pblanton. It's good to hear your experience running Win on a Mac and that your opinion of PSP agrees with mine.

Does Win continually try to update itself on a Mac? Are there still the usual problems with viruses, etc that you have to install firewalls, virus checkers, spychecks, etc. It drives me crazy on my old PC with XP that I only use once a week or so. My daughter says they have a PC at work that they use very seldomly, and it drives them crazy too. So, I still have trouble with the concept of putting Win on a Mac.

Thanks again :)

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Many thanks for your update Pblanton. It's good to hear your experience running Win on a Mac and that your opinion of PSP agrees with mine.

Does Win continually try to update itself on a Mac? Are there still the usual problems with viruses, etc that you have to install firewalls, virus checkers, spychecks, etc. It drives me crazy on my old PC with XP that I only use once a week or so. My daughter says they have a PC at work that they use very seldomly, and it drives them crazy too. So, I still have trouble with the concept of putting Win on a Mac.

Thanks again :)

I also have never found a good replacement for PSP at any price on a Mac. I run PSP 7 with Crossover ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ) just as good as if it was on a PC and you don't have to install Windows or have a Windows license to use or boot into bootcamp. I have no idea if the later versions of PSP will work since Corel got hold of it and ruined it. I tried PSP 8 but went back to PSP 7 and have stayed there for years.

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
PSP Format for Mac

Thanks Wizard,

I haven't tried it but my interpretation is that it allows you to open PSP files with the .psp extension for Photoshop. Let me know if that's not right. :confused:

On another note, I'm gradually figuring out what Boot Camp, VMfusion, and Parallels are supposed to do. The only thing that still bothers me about running Windows on a Mac is the Windows updates would drive me crazy. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Just not let Windows connect with the internet? :confused:

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Thanks Wizard,

I haven't tried it but my interpretation is that it allows you to open PSP files with the .psp extension for Photoshop. Let me know if that's not right. :confused:

On another note, I'm gradually figuring out what Boot Camp, VMfusion, and Parallels are supposed to do. The only thing that still bothers me about running Windows on a Mac is the Windows updates would drive me crazy. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Just not let Windows connect with the internet? :confused:

Let Windows Update do the updates. I don't understand why people want to turn off updating? Do you turn off Apple Updates too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.