Paint your iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iPotter, Jun 19, 2006.

1. iPotter macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2006
    I just painted my alter ego anime creation on my Video recently.

For those of you who like to personalize your Ipod but not willing to cover up your pristine white iPod with a vinyl skin, here is the answer :

I had my anime graphic printed onto a special transfer decal paper at paintjazz. It is rather easy to slide the graphic film off the decal paper onto my iPod. Amazingly, the film is so thin that there is hardly any film-edge.

It works very well for me as a freelance graphic designer because it never amazes my clients to see my Video painted with my creations when I show them my portfolio on the Video.
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    thanks for the link although i dont think id ever do that lol
  3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Interesting decal options for those interested, but I also would be somewhat reluctant.
  4. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006
    You have to use nail polish remover to take it off. I wonder how many people will ruin the face of their iPods by using acetone remover on them? it doesn't say to use non acetone, which leads me to believe you need the acetone to get rid of the design.

Not for me, as i don't plan on melting my iPod's face to get it off again.
  5. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    i like some of them designs

spam yes but in a creative way ;) least it was not another get a free ipod post :rolleyes:
  6. Lau Guest

This has given me an idea. A while back I was looking for interesting inkjet papers, and there's one kind you can get that lets you print your own temporary tattoos for skin. You apply them the same way, with water. I wonder if you could use the tattoo paper to print your own iPod (or even iBook) skins, like in the link above. <strokes chin thoughtfully>

edit: Just tried Letraset, and it works too. :D

7. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
  8. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm inclined to leave this here. It might be spam, but it's at least civilized spam. I'll consider it seasoned pork instead unless things go south....
  9. iPotter thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2006
    Acetone....what has it to do with nail-polish remover ?

Does it ruin my iPod surface ?

If so, I would have to demand a refund at the very least.
  10. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006
    well, unless a nail polish remover bottle SPECIFICALLY state's it is non acetone, it contains acetone which will take the finish off an acrylic surface like the iPod's.

Even some non acetone polishes will have a little acetone in them, so I wouldn't put acetone anywhere near my iPod...and yet the site says nail polish remover, and doesn't specify to use a non acetone product.

I'm sure more than one person will ruin an iPod this way.
  11. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    Can you post some pictures of your iPod? Its a cool idea but the examples on the web site are kind of ugly.
  12. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2006
    NY state
    An understatement, even! :eek: I can't believe anyone would use one of those designs on their iPod.
  13. Pat Medley macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2006
    It is almost laughable to suggest that nail-polish remover (with or without acetone) would rub down the acrylic finish off an iPod.

Most modern consumer electronic devices such as your mobile phones, digital camera, cam recorders etc have a UV/EB (Ultra-violet and/or electron-beam) curable coating that offers high chemical resistance, abrasion and scratch resistance, better weatherability and high gloss.

You can be pretty sure that any solvent which you are safe to touch with your bare hands will not hurt your devices.

If indeed your iPod rubs down with a nail-polish remover, you should sue Apple......or go for a juicy settlement. However, I have to add that I am not familiar with the rubbery material used for the click-wheel, so I can't be sure of that. But again, I would be very very suprised if it is affected by essentially an alcohol-based solvent such as nail-polish remover with or without acetone (which you can touch with your bare hands).

Fyi, I works in the manufacturing lines of a major consumer electronics manufacturer as a mechanical QC engineer for more than 8 years. New polymers are being invented and tested almost every other quarters, each generation having better and better properties......