Painter 8 Performance on G5

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rustus Maximus, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Rustus Maximus macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Anyone here using Painter 8.1 on a G5...and if so what sort of performance increase are you seeing over the old G4's? I'm talking about using large brushes with large file sizes (11x17 @ 300 dpi, etc.) I know on my old Dual 1GHz G4 Painter 8 is sometimes quite sluggish and I'm getting a little tired of the ribbing I see the Mac taking from the PC side on this Painter speed issue. Was just curious if the G5 with it's increased bandwith and processor speed help with the speed issues, I mean, I know it helps...just wondering to what degree.

Rustus

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i can't tell you for sure, but...
    any G5 is 60% to 100% faster than a 1GHz G4. plus, it is a new architecture (faster) and that memory bandwidth makes a difference (faster). you can't forget the huge increase in FSB that seems to be taken for granted with G5's. if the G4 is still bearable, a G5 must me mucho excellento... :D

reality

3. Rustus Maximus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Thanks for the reply Reality. :)

I figured that would be the case hardware wise...but was wondering what the "real world" result of all those wonderfully fast components in the G5 means for Painter 8. Do you or anyone else know if Painter has been optimized for the G5 or is multiprocessor aware?

I imagine those two moves alone would make Painter absolutely fly on the G5. :D