Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
I am considering painting a case from a broken eMac (the CRT shows a "lightsaber" image). What should i do to prepare it, i have no idea what scheme i will do it as, maybe a MacRumors one? (I still have to manipulate it so i can install a 17" lcd in it, so it may take a while to get to painting, but i want to find a scheme and collect icons and stuff for it.)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Have you taken it apart to see if the paint is on the inside? If so, painting the outside with the right paint should be easy. You'll want something acrylic I think and possibly sand it with a fine grade sand paper so the paint sticks.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Have you taken it apart to see if the paint is on the inside? If so, painting the outside with the right paint should be easy. You'll want something acrylic I think and possibly sand it with a fine grade sand paper so the paint sticks.

I have, the back piece is a single of white plastic. I have not been able to remove the vents and farthest rear parts yet. The front and drive cover is 2 layers. White with a clear covering. If someone could tell me how to remove the vent ring and rear cap, that would be awesome.

EDIT

The 2 layers are inseperatable according to some half hearted tries to remove it.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I am considering painting a case from a broken eMac (the CRT shows a "lightsaber" image). What should i do to prepare it, i have no idea what scheme i will do it as, maybe a MacRumors one? (I still have to manipulate it so i can install a 17" lcd in it, so it may take a while to get to painting, but i want to find a scheme and collect icons and stuff for it.)

If you haven't seen this already, here is a great article on the subject of painting Macs:

http://www.modyourmac.com/?page_id=15

And somebody else has done this once, it might help to see:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/121983-my-green-emac.html

I suggest only removing the back if you can, as you would need to take the whole thing apart to take the front off.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.