Painting my room, suggestions???

Discussion in 'Community' started by cyanide, Mar 4, 2005.

1. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

Hey guys, my girlfriend and i are going to paint my room this weekend, and i kind of wanted some ideas for an "artistic" approach to it. I am going for the darker colors if that helps. anything you got is welcome, photoshop away if you think you have a great idea. the winner of this contest gets a free apple sticker from me.. i know.. huge prize.. maybe i will send you a dollar too. PS away!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It would help if you were to post a pic of the current room :)

3. cyanide thread starter macrumors regular

cyanide

well.. i actually cant right now, cause i need to buy a new battery for my nikon, but in short. i have a a surfboard, computer desk, sony floor speakers, my bed, two guitars, one window and an end table in a square room. i have a large four panel closet door opposing the wall with the window. ill get a pic if i can.. but not by tonight.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Darker colours will make the room appear smaller.

Don't choose the colour from a small patch -- make sure you get a testpot and paint up a square metre or two on a piece of board.

You could always consider painting one feature wall a different colour from the rest -- that can look great if done well.

Here's some examples.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

actually adding adjectives like colors of things would be helpful.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    To quote the Rolling Stones. "Paint it Black"
    To quote John Mellancamp "Paint the Mother Pink"

Honestly I would probably go for a beach cabana theme. Paint the walls except for one like a grass shack and put a beach on the third.

7. cyanide thread starter macrumors regular

cyanide

my desk is a light finished wood, bleached almost, lots of black (speakers, comforter, guitar cases) a blue snowboard, my surfboard is white, a wooden desk chair, and a german flag hanging on the wall. lots of surf posters, so blue stands out a lot. a bright red yield sign, a green chalkboard. thanks for the ideas thus far.

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Well, you're going for dark, so this idea won't work as well, but I'll throw it out there anyway... Paint each wall a different color. The ceiling, too. It's artistic without being an eyesore. I think this would work best with bright colors, though.

9. cyanide thread starter macrumors regular

cyanide

yeh that sounds cool. what i was kind of thinking of, is something along the lines of the album cover for no doubt's "rock steady" .

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    u could paint the ceiling a light blue with dabs of white to make it look like the sky :)

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

I did that for my brother room. The walls are light green blending into light blue up onto the ceiling and the ceiling has clouds painted as well. At the end of the day, my arms are sore from dabbing the ceiling using sponge to create the clouds effect. Quite nicely done, considering this is my first time doing home decor.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

There was actually this thing I read in the paper a few years back where they painted your room's ceiling/walls in a special paint where at night it would glow and show a specific section of the night sky as it would appear outside. You could choose what season you wanted; Orion, Sagittarius, etc.