Pairing Apple Remote

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lonepilgrim, May 10, 2006.

1. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

I'm sure this belongs in the Peripherals section, but I'm posting in here as I believe more people might see it.

Has anyone managed to successfully pair their Apple remote with their Mac? The Apple support pages say to hold down the Menu and Next/FF buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds, whereupon some kind of lock icon will appear. Nothing of the sort - it doesn't appear to work at all.

Anyone else had any luck?

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

D'ya mean that Apple Remote that is acessory with the iPod? I am aware you have a FrontRow mac, but if you're gonna use the ipod remote and a non frontrow mac, you cannot, since they do not have an infared apadter.

3. lonepilgrim thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear from my post. I am trying to pair one Apple Remote with my iMac, and another with my MBP, so they don't trigger each other.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Are you using an admin account? It seems to me that you need to be logged on as an admin.

I was pissed by this myself ... I couldn't get my frontrow remote to pair with my iMac no matter how close I held them, or how hard I pressed the remote buttons. Then a little light went on over my head and I did it while logged onto my admin account, and it worked first time.

Apple should really document this.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. Despite the obvious security risk, Apple assumes all users are an admin when they document procedures. :rolleyes: And they make it non-obvious at times how to do admin things in a non-admin account (i.e., things just don't work instead of asking for an admin account password).