Pairing the remote

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poppe, Dec 2, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

How do you pair the front row remote so that only my remote can control my mac?

I thought I knew how by holding down play and menu at the same time, but ever time I do that it makes my remote stop working... And the only way to get it back to working is by unpairing it. Do you all have any advice?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

... until the lock icon appears on your screen.

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

oh awesome

What is the next button

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

On the circular button, press the >> (going to the right). ...It's the button you would use to go to the next track.

6. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Awesome, now my mb and my iMac won't be competing with each other anymore for the affection of my apple remote.

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Haha yeah me and my dorm mate were having the same problem and then everywhere I was going, since I am in a film school, I was causing all my buddies Macs to go off... funny stuff though as well.

8. PillarFan1 macrumors member

9. absurdio macrumors 6502

Okay. So. I know HOW to do this now...but I have no idea why it isn't working.

I'm aiming my remote at my MBP's IR sensor from 3-4 inches away, as the instructions say. I'm holding the menu and next buttons. Nothing happens. No lock icon appears. No pairing happens. I check system preferences/security, and I cannot unpair (meaning, again, no pairing happened). What gives? The remote works fine. It does everything else fine, so it's not the battery or anything... help?

Edit: okay, so just on a whim, I ignored all the instructions I found and tried holding menu and play instead. Sure enough, it worked. Weird, man.