Pakistan Says U.S. Planes Crossed Border and Killed 18

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 13, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

used to be a time when the phrase "an act of war" caused people to think twice.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Sounds a little fishy to me (although I have no way to dispute the claims), but how does a Pakistani villager identify an aircraft as American at 3:15 in the morning?

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Don't drones operate farily low to the ground and at very low speeds? That would make it much more believable.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Well the drones do, but I don't think it was a drone-launched attack from what I have read.

It wil be interesting to see what comes of it , regardless.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It sounds like these would be well-known in the border areas, by reputation if not by firsthand experience. I have little doubt this is true. Call me biased, if you will.

You probably will. And I probably am. But there we are.
    :)

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, you mean all Clinton could do was lob a few missiles at some tents? ;)

Supposedly we were targeting al-Zawahiri though... would be nice to nail that pecker.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

more info

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is it just me, or do we kill the second in command a lot? Either we aren't getting the right people... or like gangs and mobs, when one dies, another is there to take his place. Anyway, I guess this is a good thing, but it looks like we pissed off some people when we did it, overstepping our bounds. Again. At least we're actually after the right terrorists this time. I guess.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or... not.

Oops.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Great, now we've really riled things up in Pakistan, which would be tolerable IF we'd actually nailed al-Zawahiri. Now we have to explain to the world that we're different from the terrorists because we honestly thought there was a target in those houses instead of civilians. That will play fine at home, but abroad that isn't going to cut the mustard, and you can bet that we've just created more terrorists willing to die to kill Americans....

Things like this just showcase the incompetence that was on full display in the aftermath of Katrina.

And I'm still waiting to hear from all those conservatives who lambasted Clinton because 'all he did was lob some cruise missiles at empty tents'. :rolleyes:

12. toontra macrumors 6502

"Intelligence" strikes again! Seems you can start wars, occupy countries and launch attacks killing civilians in other nations as long as you have intelligence - whether it is actually right or not.

If it turns out to be wrong, you just shrug your shoulders and say that some ssomeone in intel goofed, but hey, it was worth a shot.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, that doesn't seem to be working so well here anymore. I mean, it never worked with other countries, especially the ones that hate us, but this certainly isn't going to help. There are rules of conduct during wars, and if we've broken them because our enemy does, that makes us just as bad. If not worse, since we're supposed to be better.

I feel bad for the person who dropped that last bomb. If he's anything like the guy on Stargate, he's gotta feel pretty bad. I'm guessing BushCo is going to say this is why we need to spy on people, so that our intel will be better. :rolleyes:

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nice Quote

A little loose with the numbers?

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/01/15/alqaeda.strike.us/index.html

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have to say this, what is with G.W.Bush's mantra about "Acts of Terrorism, Freedom, etc..." its getting old. I don't even have to turn on the tube in order to know what will spew out from his mouth. Seems like a horrible script that is in an infinite play loop.

Boring, get some new material G.W.Bush. :rolleyes:

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Terror has become a buzzword. If we were winning, we wouldn't be afraid anymore. But he keeps saying it, and some people still fall for it. Less and less now, and it's stuff like this that makes people think it's getting worse, not better.

Anyone else kinda worried that stuff like this is just going to make them want to attack us again? Bush has us convinced that it could happen at any time, one of the tactics he used to trick us into re-electing him. I'm starting to think he may have been right, but I have a feeling he will be the cause. And I have a feeling most of America will feel the same way.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

When was the last time we had an Orange Alert nationwide? Since November '04? I can't remember any.

Seems they were happening every couple weeks prior to the election -- and conveniently enough during the Democratic National Convention no less.

Odd that the frequency has dropped so much, isn't it? I suspect we might see a few more 'Orange Alerts' before Nov. '06 passes....

19. toontra macrumors 6502

In the UK we famously had tanks surrounding Heathrow airport a few days prior to the vote on the Iraq war in Parliament. Never before - never since!

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

link

21. toontra macrumors 6502

Despite this, it is unsurprisingly a common belief that these people must somehow have been involved in terrorism (see other threads in this furum - esp. silverback).

Once the headlines are over and the propaganda machine has done its work, who actually gives a damn about these people.