Pakistani Court Orders Release of 5 Convicted of 'Honor' Rape

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

This is horrific.

2. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Reminds me of a story who was raped in Sudan(?) Ethiopia(?) by two men and was impregnated. She was given 40 lashes for getting pregnant and 40 lashes for falsely accusing one of the men of being the father.

I know its not the fault of Islam but in a lot of ways Islam reinforces things like this. Christianity took 1800 years or so to grow out of this. I guess we have to give Islam another 500.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's pretty bad... makes some of the issues here seem not so bad...

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would seem that there are judges in other countries beside the US that issue stupid rulings. That was a heinous crime and the men involved to be punished. There crime makes no sense.

6. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Made me want to go get a plane ticket and a rifle and deliver some swift justice!
    And then agression wore off, and it just made me very very sad.

-squirrel

7. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

The thing is, it is the fault of Islam. The basic tenets of Christianity are actually very pro-woman. The problem with Christianity was never the religion, it was just the corruption in the Church. Now the religion seems to have "matured", but really it's just that corrupt people no longer run it. Islam at its core is just a really anti-woman religion. I've studied it in depth and frankly it just sickens me. Things like this will continue to happen as long as people continue to suscribe to Islamic principles. Centuries of opression and brutal treatment of women can be directly atrributed to statements made in the Koran, and to me that is irreconcilable.

EDIT: This is getting me all upset again. If you read the Sunna, which are based on the Koran and the teachings of Muhammad, you will see what Muslims view as the "normal" way of treating women. It is just sick and wrong. The saddest part is the movement within the religion of women who support these teachings. Although they are in the minority, they have been so brainwashed to believe they are inferior to men that they accept the way of life the Sunna and Muslim laws dictate. Religion can be a beautiful thing that gives people hope and purpose in life, but Islam has just taken all of that and butchered it.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This will sound absurd, but I hope that some ridiculous thing like this happens to the daughter or sister or mother of all 6 of these men, especially relatives of the village council chief who ordered this.

Again, it does sound sick, and I'm definitely speaking from the anger I feel right now instead of sense and decency, but despite the fact that changes in the system would be a better and healthier result, it will feel very sweet nonetheless if I found out this happened.

Sorry.

9. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Why should their (innocent) female relatives suffer for their stupidity? Why not issue gangrape on the men who did this in the first place??

"do unto others...." -sorry, wrong religion.

-Squirrel

10. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I was hoping this wouldn't wind up in the political section (otherwise I would have put it here to begin with!) but since it had, and the issue has been raised...

If Christianity is so pro-woman, why do the more traditional branches of it require the woman to "obey" and "gracefully submit" to the will of her husband? Why are women allowed to be leaders (priests) in only the most progressive of Christian faiths? Why do the more orthodox groups forbid a woman control over her reproductive capacity?

And believe it or not, there are progressive groups of Muslims as well.

11. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Well, since this is political now I may as well not hold back.
    [You should have held this part back since it's gone now.]

12. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

The image of a Sky god as opposed to an Earth god is an inherently male image. The creation myth involves the creation of woman out of a man, a provocatively pro-male image. Man is created of the earth, while woman is created from man. This further ties into the change from the ancient Pagan faiths as Christianity supplanted it.

Fathers begat upon their daughters. Husbands had multiple wives. The fall of man is precipitated by a woman. The stories are almost all told from the male perspective. None of this is very pro-woman.

Unfortunately I'm not versed enough in the Koran to be able to tell you if there are only anti-women passages; or if, like the Bible, it's a mixed bag. But from what I've heard from Muslims who've read it, it is much like the Bible in that you can take from it a lesson of love and peace, or one of hate and war.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, there are at least two distinct creation myths in Genesis, only one of which involves a spare rib and a sky god. And I read somewhere that the original Jehovah was a mountain goddess from Syria....or was it Sinai?

Christianity was not anti-woman until Paul set the agenda. Nor was it such a departure: some of the earliest "Christian" saints in Britain were Druids.

It was ever thus: history is written by those with time on their hands, and the women were always working. I don't believe the pagans did things any differently...

Indeed: there are many passages in the Koran which explicitly state that men and women are equal in status, expectations and rights, including participation in political and religious debate, which is a lot more than either Judaism or Christianity can claim.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think this has gone far enough with the nastiness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.