Pakistani who sold nuke tech can keep wealth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 8, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

nice ****ing War on Terror we've got going here. bush is so outraged by this, he went on tim russert's show and defended the iraq war. :rolleyes:

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

zim,

this part of the story I believe.

I have no doubt Musharraf and his friends in the General Staff knew all about it and probably both approved and benefitted from the sale of the technology.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

nor do i. which makes the bush administration's stance on iraq that much more outrageous.

4. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

At least this gives people a little bit clearer picture of the transfer of nuclear weapon technology.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If I recall correctly, some of us (you and I included) were saying the real threat for the spread of WMDs and terrorism came from our good friends in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia - and that was more than six, seven months ago. Nice to see some folks in the press are covering at least some of this mess as it comes unraveled.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

almost a year ago...

it's amazing to me -- take the two of us, for example. we don't have access to classified information, we live in a society w/ substandard access to real news, and it's plain to us where the real problems lie.

when i think of musharraf and his nuclear scientist, and bush and his cronies, i get the impression everything in world affairs is done with a wink and a nudge (much like bush's so-called "business career"). heads of states everywhere must have known what high bull**** the iraq war was, but they all understood how things actually work.

so in this case, bush and musharraf cook up a plan to have qadeer khan issue an apology and everything remains hunky dory. (though, surely, bush gets something in return for not raising a public wink-wink-nudge-nudge stink about it).

if it's all really such a game, i wonder if it's worth me getting all worked up about world affairs. it's not like my view will change anything, eh?

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Not as long as we all stick to our part in the game.

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

but that's based on the idea that the US is a democracy. i'm really beginning to doubt that it is. i'm thinking of those times in my life where i was part of a leadership of some group. in each case, we always welcomed the opinions of those who were affected by decisions, maybe even allowed them to vote, but it never made a damn bit of difference in what we did. the decisions were always made ahead of time.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not like we could do anything about it now anyway. Our troops are already busy, so even if Bush wanted to do something about this he couldn't, not to mention Pakistan has nukes already so the 'usual solution' ie. bomb them into submission won't work anyway. Diplomacy is the only way to solve these kinds of problems. And remember, Musharraf is MUCH better than some other people who could be leading Pakistan right now. He has publicly acted against al Qaeda, thereby making his life forfeit if he ever loses power to that faction.

It does, as you have alluded, expose the immense hypocrasy of 'Dubya Dubya II' however. On the one hand we have a declared nuclear power selling nuclear technology to terrorist states. On the other you have a nation who might or might not have had chem/bio weapons within the last 10 years, and at best had a mothballed nuclear program and very limited missle technology. And who do we attack? Not to mention the Saudi problem, where our hypocrasy is on display every day to the Arab world as the autocratic members of the House of Saud oppress, torture and suppress free speech on their way to the top of the oil heap. With allies like these, who needs enemies. Or the French or Germans for that matter.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It is easy to despair over the state of the world, and extremely hard to do something about it. However, people do make real differences. I could point out the wonderful changes that have occurred by the determined struggle of people with little power in situations like South African apartheid, police state Chile, martial law Poland, and yes - the US during both the civil rights and Vietnam struggle, but I think you can see that some changes in the events of the last month around Bush's supposed "inevitable" election.

I've been at this "game" since my teenage years - some 35+ years ago and the one thing I've learned (warning - old man talking) is that it does make a difference to try to make a difference.

11. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Is Halliburton going to loose any of their wealth for dealing with so-called "Axis of Evil" states, via the almost non-existant Cayman Islands subsidiary?

One would think not.