Pal Dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PegasusMedia, Jun 7, 2006.

1. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Mar 29, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    So a customer wants to send a copy of a DVD I'm making to a relative in Israel. According to what I've read, all I've got to do is set idvd to PAL & it handles the conversion.

That seems way too easy. Have any of you actually done this with successs? Is it really that simple? Gotta love mac.

If anyone can confirm this with real life experience I sure would appreciate it!
  2. MOFS macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2003
    Durham, UK
    Living in the UK and speaking with experience, the DVD might work well on its own without the need for conversion. Many TVs and DVD players in the UK now recognise 60Hz (NTMSC) and 50Hz (PAL). Even if this doesn't work, on iMovie (if thats what you used ) allows you to set the frame settings to PAL so I presume iDVD would too.
  3. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

Aug 7, 2003

Yes, but remember that the change takes place for new projects. Therefore, you need to restart iMovie/iDVD for the change to take effect.
  4. PegasusMedia thread starter macrumors member

Mar 29, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ok then. Thanks guys!

It just threw me because it seems too easy. I mean, how's a guy supposed to justify charging a fortune for this kind of thing when it's easy enough for my kids to do?

Maybe I better start thinking about a career change!

Oh well. I'm sure it's hard on a PC. That'll keep me in business for a few more years.
  5. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I've created and sent both PAL and NTSC DVDs to Ireland. One issue with the PAL was that the chapters (and I think the menus) were lost, but apparently the quality was fine. But I was a iDVD noob when I did that so I might have configured something wrong. You do have to go through multiple menus to do this, so it's not that simple, but at least it's possible.

When you do it, you are likely to see odd tearing and distortion when viewing the PAL DVD on your Mac. But this didn't happen on the PAL TV. The distortion was the reason I sent the DVDs in NTSC format, and since it turned out my family's TVs and DVD players all supported NTSC, that's how I formatted any DVDs subsequently, so I'm still a iDVD noob when it comes to PAF format.