PAL PS2 games on NTSC PS2

Discussion in 'Games' started by reberto, Nov 21, 2005.

1. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I might buy some games from a user on here who has a PAL PS2. Can I play them on a NTSC PS2? Thanks!

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Only if your PS2 is modded.

Edit: Actually, I'm not 100%. It could also depend on the TV. If it can handle a PAL signal then it might work.

Edit: Nevermind. It still need to be modded, even if your TV can do PAL.

3. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

I woun't be playing this on a PAL PS2.

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You need 2 things to play Pal games on an NTSC PS2. First is a mod chip. This will bypass the security checks. Second, if you have a NTSC tv you will need to buy a converter. You can find these commonly at websites that import games. Lik-Sang has one, but they are not in stock. http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=121&products_id=1687&

If your PS2 isn't modded and you are not good with a soldering iron, it will probably be easier to sell the games and buy the NTSC versions.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Nope... You just need a cable adapter that will connect to your TV screen and accept NTSC colors and will convert them to PAL.

PS2 is just like a computer. It does support BOTH NTSC and PAL! Your only problem is your TV Screen!

Note that the main difference between NTSC and PAL is the refresh rate. NTSC is 60Hz, while PAL is 50Hz. If your TV is Sony, then it will accept both PAL and NTSC signals, without forcing you to change cables.

6. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

Would I need it even if I have a NTSC PS2? I have one and all I want to do is play PAL games.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You could always rip the games to an ISO, use a program (I can't think of the name) to convert it, then use something like swap magic or hdloader to play the game.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Nice. I don't own any PAL games so I was going on a hunch. I probably got the DVD movie region locks stuck in my head. For those you probably need a mod chip to play.

Oh well. Learn something everyday.

9. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

10. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

According to Soulstorm, no. The only thing you will need is a PAL to NTSC converter. This will go inline betweent he PS2 and the TV that you want to play it on. Don't worry about the MOD chip.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm not sure if it's like the XBox at all, but that requires either modding or a PAL XBox, for no technical reason, but probably some stupid licensing issue.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It is a technical reason on both the XBox and PS2. Different parts of the world use different TV technologies. The most notable difference is the refresh rate.

13. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

I don't think I expalined this clearly. I have PS2 games that I bought in europe. I want to play them on my AMERICAN (NTSC) PS2. So all I need is a mod chip?

14. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

i dont know if its available in the US, but, I baught a cheat system called "action replay MAX" for my UK (PAL) PS2 and this contains loads of diffrent bits. The 1st, the cheat bit, cheat codes and the likes, the second, "DVD region X" (also sold seperatly) plays dvd video from any region. The third, "FreeLoader", Lets ypo play import (jap', us, anywhere else outside uk region for PS2) games NO MOD CHIP Neaded.

It works for me, NTSC (US) to UK, you still need the correct type of TV to display the pictures though

I have the US version of Dragonball Z Budokai (1) which is almost a difrent game from the UK/France/Germany/Spain 4 in 1 disc we got here

PS2 regions from what i can gather are similar to DVD regions and the games are locked to the purchasing region (hence the Region marking on the game boxes. This can be got arround with a mod chip, but there should be software available in the new world ( USofA ) if a wee small island like us have it.