PAL PS3 delayed until 2007

Discussion in 'Games' started by risc, Sep 6, 2006.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Told You So!!

I told you so!

Sorry just had to say it!!! :p

What more can I say... Check back over my posts from the last 6 months.

I predicted this since E3, even the date March 07, and I'm bloody delighted to be right..

First I was told I was insane, wrong, delusional. I may still be insane and delusional, but I'm RIGHT

This means PS3 is gonna be in trouble in Europe. Wii & 360 have Xmas to themselves in Europe, and they are goint to clean up....

3. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Poor PS3. Will probably still sell well though.

5. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

The other regions including Russia, the Middle East, Africa and Australasia.

Well at least this will mean when its released there shoud be a few good games avilable,

i'm not bothered though as i didnt plan on buying one anyway:p

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Who buys a console in March?

Little Johnny want a next gen console for christmas ! He doesnt want to wait 3 months to open the gift wrapping....

Wii & 360 will benefit - greatly.

Especially if AAA next gen titles like Rainbow 6 : Vegas | Splinter Cell : Double Agent | Brothers in Arms, are only available in europe on 360 this season giving it free gratis exclusivity for 4 months.........

From IGN

So the Blue Laser in BluRay is to blame. So there's also going to be desperate shortages of BluRay players this season, when it has to go head to head with the no doubt plentiful supply of HD-DVD rival players..... :rolleyes:

Sony are in trouble on both fronts then............... DOH !!!!

7. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

What will 2007 bring?

Next year will be an interesting one. There will be those manufacturers sitting pretty, ahead of the game and those that have struggled and tried to overstretch themselves, but found themselves lagging behind. What will happen with Vista and Leopard, Wii, PS3 and XBOX 360? This time next year will the majority still be using Windows and playing Playstation, listening to their iPods and watching DVDs, or will they be using OS X, playing Wii, listening to their Zunes and watching Blu-Rays? One thing is for sure the most popular products will always be a mix of the best and the mediocre. :rolleyes:

8. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

ah well , could see that one coming, they did it with the PSP, besides sony would never have been able to ship consoles out to all 3 regions at once.

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

As my friend just put it, what are the chances that Microsoft bought up a whole load of blue diodes just to stop Sony from making the PS3 :)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It'd be funny, but since Sony manufacture the blue diode i'm afraid they would have questioned the order sheet :D

This is Sony's fault, plain and simple. I knew it would come, but still feel they have really hurt their position in Europe now. With both Wii & 360 having a big push this xmas it's gonna be hard for those trying to resist temptation not to pick up a competitors console.

After I stuck up for them in the 'no hdmi cable' thread yesterday too :rolleyes:

The impact and reaction to this is going to be really interesting over the next couple of weeks....

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

They sent a memo around to all their resellers!
    "Free VISTA Ultimate Licence for every blue-diode bought"

(Or maybe two licenses...)

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I didn't think of that, but pure genius! Realistically, it's not likely as I bet Sony are keeping track of all these diodes, apparently they're not even letting many get through to other manufacturers making Blueray drives because of the push to get as many into PS3s.

Personally it's an insult to Europe to promise a 'worldwide' launch then chicken out when you realise you hadn't done your sums right. Simple case of overpromise, underdeliver.

It also means the Xbox 360 launch can be viewed in a better light because although there was disappointment initially, Microsoft *did* pull off a Europe/Japan/US launch successfully. They also got plenty of consoles rolling in during the following 2-3 months. Personally I think its better to have a 'worldwide' launch with low supply (has the added benefit of driving up demand due to the low availability) than to simply run from the challenge and deny a major market something you had previously promised.

All-in-all, another Christmas for Microsoft unchallenged, and a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to get ahead in Europe especially as parents will likely buy their kids a Wii due to the low price point and Christmas availability.

13. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I think it is fair to say the vast majority of us - including the more practical sony fanboys - saw this coming. The sheer logistics of a global release with such new tech would just been too much, and something had to give.

It'll be interesting to see how much MS and N actually gain from this delay. I can see massive inroads for Nintendo, but less so for MS. Either way I'm looking forward to the holiday season - I'll be getting a Wii, and there are a whole heap of good looking 360 titles on their way.

Plus titles that were once Sony only (Pro Evo) being available on the 360 has pursuaded two of my die-hard sony-only friends to get 360's as soon as the latest Pro Evo is out. It is going to be tough for Sony this round, but damn this is all quite facinating! Like a little console soap opera!

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

15. Motley macrumors 6502

Don't forget 400,000 units for US release and 100,000 for Japan. Yikes, good luck getting your hands on one.

How many units did the 360 have available at launch?

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

to make it worse the amount available for launch are hardly big for the other territories either:

"In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date."

100k for the japan launch ? WTF is sony drinking ? are they insane ?

that aside i wonder if there are any lawsuits coming since in germany/austria sony was selling certificates which say "you get your console in november"

yet again another sony console delayed in europe for a second time

edit: i jsut read that the 360 launched with 1,5 million world wide ... looks like the ps3 shortages will be massive

edit2: and i remember the last console who launched in march wih a 400+ price tag .. jup it was the xbox ... and it sitting o nthe shelves like they were made out of lead ... until microsoft dropped the price from 479 to 299 within the first month (and had to give away 3 games + controller to those who bought for 479 since they dropped prices so early, because of customer protection laws )

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This is all probably the worst PS3 news I've heard, even if it was expected.

This in combination with those shipping numbers look horrid...

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and it also means that the first price drop for europe won't be coming before 2008 ... (if they stick to their "every year - a drop" way)

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hmm… once again the PAL market get the short hand of the stick. I would have seemed faired to delay it everywhere by 1 month instead than 3 months in a single territory. But I guess that if they planned to do that, there would be a angry pitchfork and torch bearing crowd marching down on SONY's headquarter in Japan.

I don't think that missing the holiday season is of any consequence for SONY since they are going to be selling every console they can assemble anyway.

I just hope this is not going to delay the console's price drop date in any territory.

There still is a bit of "positive" info in that press release:

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The forecast hasn't been changed yet. If they are blaming blue laser shortages then I don't see how any can expect them to meet that projection!

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hahahahahaha. Knew this would happen. Oh Sony, you treat PAL so shitly.

Firstly we're paying £450/$851, we ONLY get the high end model (which has good and bad points) and we're now delayed to 2007. Seriously Sony Europe should just give up now. The British press are giving the PS3 a very hard time too. This machine is not going to sell well in the UK.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. If by the end of december they will have shipped 500,000 ps3 - that leaves 5.5 million to be produced by the end of march. 3 months. Not a chance.....

At the peak they estimated they would be producing 1 million ps3's a month.... As they are well below peak (if they started in September - going on 500,000 by december 4 months) currently making around 125,000 per month. So they need to ramp that by another 775,000 to reach their target :eek:

IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN

23. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

The 6 million unit shipped is SONY's forcast for the end of 2007, not March 2007. Unless I read something wrong?

Edit: And here is an unfortunate consequence of the PAL delay:

Linky

I hope for them they had not shot/designed everything yet… or at least that it's salvageable. (i.e.: not christmas themed)

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nope that was there estimate to the end of march I'm afraid. I know :rolleyes:

They aint got a chance :)

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

tee-hee. The Guardian don't like this whole PS3 situation. Reading in G2 a while back they asked "to the public with their SDTV's, what does the PS3 offer that the 360 didn't a year before it's launch", or something.

hah. Just read something funny; if the DS Lite has another one of its 100k+ weeks, and with the Sony only launching 100k PS3s in Japan... The DS Lite would overtake the PS3 (if Sony sell out). madness! These figures are so laughable. DELAY IT TO THE WORLD SONY! Knock together some more PS3s first...