Palm Cobalt and Mac OS X

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Brighthand.com provided a brief preview of the upcoming Palm OS Cobalt featured at the PalmSource conference on February 10th. It appears Mac syncing, however, is not in the works:

While a 3rd party (Mark/Space, Missing Sync) is planning on providing this functionality for Mac users, a lack of built-in functionality is unfortunate.

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Thumbs DOWN

I'm not too happy about this decision by PalmOne. I am a Palm owner, but I don't think I'll buy any more Palm OS-based devices in the future because of this news. I have another beef with Palm: why no Palm OS updates for Tungsten T? Mine came with Palm OS 5.0; 5.22 is the latest release that I know of. Why on earth can't I update to 5.22?

3. macrumors 65816

Poff

I do hope Apple will provide full iSync support for it then. If so, this is a good thing, imo.

4. macrumors newbie

This is really unfortunate and a stupid move on behalf of PalmSource. Today, Mac owners (almost 10M on Mac OS X) have no choice and must buy a Palm if they want functional syncing and a big company behind the product. In the future, this means there is NO PDA that will work with a Mac and this is a major setback. I wonder what it will take for Apple to wake up and at least consider two options: work with Palm at no charge and develop a syncing solution for the new Palm OSes or finally launch their own PDA.

This sucks big time - I depend on my Palm all the time

5. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Poff, you bring up a very good point. If Apple provides full iSync support for Cobalt Palms, the lack of official support from PalmOne won't matter. However, due to the fact that Apple views PDAs as overrated and not worth adding to the product line, I see this as unlikely.

6. macrumors newbie

Too bad, but palms are a thing of the past. Between my phone and my iPod, I never use my Palm anymore.

7. macrumors newbie

I think that is quite laughable. Apple has never managed to get iSync to work well with Palm. My Palm syncs literally in seconds via Hotsync, with iSync it takes 20 Minutes (!!!) every darn time even if nothing has changed. In addition, it will not properly sync all items and more than once has wiped out all my attached notes on my Palm address book. In my opinion iSync = iSuck. The only thing that appears to work ok is syncing with .mac.

I read a while ago that Apple purchased a syncing company. If so, I hope that iSync 2 will provide what iSync promised but hasn´t delivered so far. I hate Windows, but really, my Palm syncing experience there has been flawless and trouble free over the last years (I have to use Windows at work)

8. macrumors newbie

a really bad move by palm, maybey this will bring more support by apple through iSync etc.

9. macrumors 65816

Poff

iSync works flawlessly on my Palm, but I´ve only got a zire.

10. macrumors newbie

I think it may depend on the amount of data on the Palm. I have over 1000 contacts and a bunch of other stuff and that seems to be too much for iSync - or I´ve just had bad luck :-(

11. macrumors newbie

I will beg SJ on my knees to have a MacOs powered version of this hardware:

Samsung NEXiO

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/nexio_S160.htm

HINT: it has a 800 x 480 points screen!!!

12. macrumors newbie

Complete and Utter Bull...

Developers always look at Apple's 5% marketshare and think it's not worth building apps for.

This is a big mistake. I'd be willing to bet that a much higher percentage of Mac users use PDAs than PC users. In fact, I know few Mac users that don't use PDAs.

Personally, however, I hope this just means Sony will move in on the Mac space by providing Mac support for the Clie.

13. macrumors regular

So sad. :( I'd love it if iSync would support Palms, but without Palm desktop it would be syncing to an inferior PIM, in my opinion.

Oh, well. Actually, by the time I'm ready for a new Palm, I'm sure there will be other options on the market. I imagine it'll be a smartphone. But I guess not a Treo...

edit: Now that I've taken a look at it, the solution from Mark/Space looks pretty exciting.

14. macrumors 6502a

What the hell? Aren't Mac users a major chunk of Palm's userbase? That's always been my impression. It seems on most Palm forums I've been to, the most active users were Mac users running OS X.

This decision just doesn't make any sense... Hopefully Apple will get iSync working with the new system without Palm's help. Of course they'd probably start charging $30/year for it :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Sony???

Are you nuts? Doubt that Sony will step to the plate. Wondering if Cobalt can finally be a stand alone OS??

I 1st thought PalmSource not supporting Apple was a crop-out move....however, I think Apple can fill in nicely.

PalmSource is moving to mobile smartphone devices which SHOULD support SyncML. Doesn't OS X already have suppport for this?? I'm Guessing an Plist file supporting SyncML within Entourage, iCal, iTunes, iPhoto, maybe even iMovie/QuickTime Streaming Media Server in order to allow wireless hotsyncing to the Mac that has even limited FileSharing turned on??

Just brainstorming.

16. macrumors newbie

mobile phones

I just sold my palm because I'm only using my mobile phone – I don't want tro carry always two devices, respectively three with the iPod… Anyway I am hoping that my iPod will be able to phone! I don't think there is a futur for palm anyway.

17. macrumors 6502

reyesmac

Figures

If a company is cheap enough to use Microsoft giveaway technologies to save money in programing their products, then they will usually be too cheap to make a Mac version. I hope Apple comes up with their own product that makes the PDA obsolete someday.

Totally of topic: Apple needs to come up with more drivers for cheap devices, like USB cameras and webcams. Pretty sad when the only way to talk to some windows dude with a cheap camera is to spend $130.

I guess most companies don't spend as much as they should on software.

18. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree that Apple needs to work on a better iSync. Lacking that Apple should work with Palm to ensure Mac support for the Palm. I am sure it is the $ involved to write the code for Mac.

19. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Dumbest move ever...

Come on now, seriously--I know the market is only 3% of computer users, but it's still enough to warrant a month or so of dev. time to code for Macs. Not to mention I'd like to see a solid % of Palm users based on both platforms to see if Mac users are still in that sub 10% range.

I'm sure a lot of people who go from work & home have different platforms, especially in education where many professors and colleges have faculty mac programs.

BAD move Palm...but the good news out of all this is that there's a void to fill with a MacOS-based pda--more money to spend.

P.S.-There will be a third-party option, but it costs $40....just to sync! *vomit* :(

20. macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Perhaps the next-generation iPods may well fill the gap left behind with the demise of the Newton - which in turn means that Palm can go to hell.

The newer iPod could be marketed as an MP3 player (first and foremost), with the added features of a PDA - i.e. bigger, COLOUR touch-screen, Newton handwriting technology (STILL way ahead of its' time), large storage medium, infra-red/bluetooth support, and a welcome upgrade for the digital hub - as well as OSX compatibility right out of the box!.

Hell - it could even liaise with your existing entertainment centre, acting as a master remote control unit!

I'd buy into THAT...

:cool:

21. macrumors newbie

We need the iSlate NOW!

The technology is available to provide consumers with a product like "iSlate". Of course only Apple could really do it right, although several other companies are attempting to create some variation of this device. Unfortunately many are too focused on video playback only, & not creating a true multi-function device that could be used at home, at the office, or on the road. One that can handle PIM functions & business apps, as well as video. This product would integrate well into the "Digital Lifestyle" philosophy & compliment existing Apple product.

It would provide a screen large enough to actually watch video & view photos, while still being small enough to be portable. It needs to be smaller than a notebook computer, but larger than a PDA. Granted, you can not but a device the size of a DVD case in your pocket, but something doesn't have to fit in a pocket to be portable. This device could be used in so many different situations that if would have broad appeal in the market. I only pray that Apple is working on such a device & will release it in 2004. They have an opportunity to impact the industry with the iSlate & iVideo media Store as much as the iPod & iTMS will.

iSlate

New Apple mini-tablet –> PMA (portable media appliance)

Designed not to be a creative device like a desktop or laptop, but rather a sophisticated display device that communicates seamlessly with other devices via Rendezvous & 802.11, BT, FireWire, etc.

Device Size:
    8” x 5.0” x .65” (±15oz)
    ± 1/2 size of a 17” PowerBook
    ± 2x size of a Palm T3 or an iPod
    ± size of a DVD movie case
    small enough to hold with one hand by the bezel (.5” bezel on the sides)

Screen:
    ±8” LCD (16:9 ratio) -> 800 x 480 pixels minimum (1024 x 600 ideally)
    ± 1/2 size of 17” PowerBook screen
    ± 2x size of a Palm T3 screen
    able to display “640 x 480 material” & DVD (720x480) quality video natively

Battery:
    6-9 hr. Li-Ion battery (or some new battery technology)

Storage:
    1.8” 20GB or 40GB Toshiba hard drive (additional capacity can come from external devices)
    128MB or 256MB RAM - fixed
    CF slot (w/ adapter for SD, xD, Smart Media, Memory stick)

Processor & OS ?:
    Motorola 800 MHz G4 mobile w/ Mac OS X lite or
    Intel 400 MHz XScale PXA263 w/ Palm OS 6 or Mac OS Mobile?

Connectivity:
    802.11 –> Desktop or Laptop, Stereo, Internet via Wi-Fi hotspots
    Bluetooth –> Keyboard, Mouse, PDA, Wireless Headphones, Internet via GSM Phone
    FireWire –> iPod, Computer, Hard Drive, DVD/CD writer, Video Camera, iSight
    USB 2.0 –> Printer, PDA, Digital Still Camera
    mini-DVI w/adapter for:
    -> ADC & VGA for larger monitor
    -> DVI for video projector or HDTV
    -> S-Video for video projector or TV
    -> Composite for video projector or TV
    Stereo mini out
    Stereo mini in
    Rendezvous for seamless connectivity to other devices

Input:
    Inkwell via touch screen &/or stylus
    Keyboard & mouse via Bluetooth or USB
    Microphone
    Remote control via Bluetooth

Applications:
    inkwell, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, Safari, QuickTime, iSync, Rendezvous
    Preview or Acrobat Reader, Mail, iCal, Address Book, Sherlock, iChat AV
    Keynote, FileMaker, Quicken,

A/V Formats:
    Pixlet, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, AAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF, Audible, JPEG, TIFF, GIF

Accessories:
    Charger, External Battery, Stand, clip for iSight, Portable folding BT keyboard, BT mouse
    Headphone w/Microphone boom, quality stereo headphones

Price ??:
    $699 to $899

Create a device that is bigger that the largest PDA or Archos type device, yet smaller than the average notebook or tablet computer. Imagine if you will, holding a device (about the size of a DVD case) away from you anywhere from 12" to 18". Obviously a 4" screen would be inadequate, but a 7" to 9" diagonal widescreen would be more than acceptable. It could still be small enough to fit in a stack of books, a briefcase, a large purse, of any number of other carrying cases. It would be something that could be viewed in an office, at home, in a coffee shop, on an airplane or train, or even in the backseat of a car.

The idea is not to see how much visual information one can cram into a small space (3" to 4" screens) or replace existing devices like the TV or Video Projector. The idea is to create a device that is a reasonable compromise between portability & "acceptable or pleasurable" viewing for multiple applications & that also complements existing devices.

Although a 4 lb, 12" notebook computer displays video beautifully (I use one everyday), it is too big for the situations I have described. Beyond the innumerable business applications it could fulfill, it could display video & photos on a screen that is much bigger than an Archos type device or PDA, & yet smaller than a notebook computer. It doesn’t need to carry everything all the time, so it doesn’t require a massive hard drive. The internal HD needs only to be large enough for the OS, applications & enough storage to carry material while you away from any connectivity to other devices or the internet.

From a strictly “video perspective”, a large part of its success would hinge upon Apple's ability to distribute video clips through an online store much like iTMS. This store could provide educational content, business content, news content, & entertainment content beyond just movies. To be truly successful, it must integrate into Apple's "Digital Lifestyle" strategy, & be truly portable (ubiquitous wireless connectivity & good battery life).

22. macrumors regular

23. macrumors 6502a

BobVB

serendipity strikes again. I just fired off a feedback to Handspring/Palm last night that because they have chosen to drop Graffiti input for their PDA smart phones I will be looking elsewhere for one.

With keyboard input only I will ALWAYS have to look at the device to enter information - with handwriting recognition I don't.

My next PDA will be a smartphone and it will be a GSM/GPRS one with bluetooth, handwriting recognition (Graffiti, Jot etc) and customizable programming (Palm would be great but I guess Java will be ok). The Sony Ericsson P900 fits the bill so far and Palm isn't even in the running.

24. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Re: mobile phones

I did the same thing a couple of months ago too. Between my BT phone and iPod, I didn't need my Palm anymore either. This news just reinforces the fact that I made the right decision by getting rid of it. Good riddance PalmOne...

25. macrumors member

I don't know what you're doing, but 20 minutes? Something's wrong. Mine syncs in mere moments (and that includes syncing with .mac and my iPod as well).

But aside from that, this story should be a wake up call for all of you that don't think market share matters. With less than 3%, who can blame Palm for walking away from the Mac? A sign of things to come. Look for more and more Mac marginalization in the near future.