Palm Desktop Install Error

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oweaver, Feb 13, 2004.

1. oweaver macrumors newbie

Trying to install Palm Desktop(Installer v. 1.0) on a TiBook G4 running Panther. I get a message "Sorry, the operation could not be completed due to a system error: (Access Denied)." Other installations work fine. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i had this problem attempting to install it on an old os9 ibook for a friend...
    i think we determined the problem was that it had palm desktop on it already so it wouldnt reinstall.
    stupid but true.
    have you ever installed it before? im guessing no, but just in case i would check for any palm desktop files...palm desktop does not play well with itself sometimes, so if it installed some parts and not others that could cause your problem...
    but thats just my experience.

also, try downloading it off of palmone.com instead of the cd (im assuming your using the cd) in case theres a problem with your cd version and the newest version being incompatible wiht panther for some reason.

3. oweaver thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear Fear,

You were so right. I uninstalled a bunch of old Palm stuff and the problem was solved. I feel a lot better. I had been obsessing over this for a week. I appreciate your taking the time to help.

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

glad to be of service...
    wow, im glad that was the problem, hope you enjoy your palm now!

5. oweaver thread starter macrumors newbie

You helped more than I've indicated. Couldn't install iSunc conduit, got a "can not be installed on this computer" message. Solved that too. You're a good man fear. Thanks again.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

I cannot get Palm Desktop 4.2.1 to install on either of two computers using Panther. One had an old 4.0 on it, the other was a fresh install. They both fail the same way; hotsync manager doesn't install, then the applications won't work because the shared libs are missing.

Searching on the Internet, I notice many folks have had these problems, but all the solutions described are completely unworkable (such as logging in as root - the install fails the same way anyway, but now all the files belong to root). It appears to me that nobody should be able to install Palm Desktop under Panther.