Palm Desktop install problems...HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skyking9, Dec 10, 2004.

1. skyking9 macrumors newbie

I cannot install the Palm desktop 4 on my iMac G5. Get "access denied" message. Downloaded the Access denied fix, and NOTHING CHANGES! Any suggestions would be welcome :mad:

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Do you have virex installed? that conflicts with palm software.
    Are you signed in under the administrator password for OSx?

those are my only two ideas.

3. skyking9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have Virex, but I do use Norton....I'll try disabeling it...And I am signed in as administrator, but I appreciate your thoughts!

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I figured you were signed in as Admin. I imagine I won't be the first to tell you that Norton reaks havok on OSX! I have not had a personal experience with it, but remember reading that almost everyone at MacRumors says to never buy it and have it installed. I would uninstall it personally, but you might try first disabling it...you could always reinstall it later if need be or desired. Since there are not OSx viruses as of yet I think you are pretty safe without it.

good luck.

I know palm tends to keep their support pretty secret so word doesn't get out so I would call them if this doesn't work. Their phone support is decent, but they don't seem to put many things on their web support that they should.

For instance, did you know that if you have a palm zire 21 you will(most people) lose all your data if your palm comes within two feet of a cellular phone operating. They don't mention this on their web support but in phone support they tell you that is why you are losing your data and to keep it two feet away from cell phone. Crazy if you ask me- the Virex thing is another one they don't talk about it web support, but over the phone they know it is a common thing it conflicts with.

5. skyking9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got the answer from the genius desk at Apple store for anyone with same problem. First, got to Applications/Utilities/Netinfo Manager and select Security/Enable root User Menu. Next log out of current user & back in as root. Do the install, and THEN LOG OUT OF ROOT so as not to damage system. Works perfectly!! :) :)

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Great to hear. I am wondering why I had no problems doing it once I took off Virex and never had to (and wouldn't know how to) do something in root. Maybe once I get out of grad school I can figure out what root is. :D