Palm Desktop wont install...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Muzukun, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Muzukun macrumors regular

Hey,

Ummm not sure which group to post in so I'll try this one. I can't install palm desktop on my mac, I have 10.3.8 and everytime I try when it gets to removing usb or something like that it says access denied. I tried palm's permissions changer and that didn't work either... what do I do? 0o

2. xperton3 macrumors member

i remember seeing an iSync update somewhere for that, have u tried using the latest Palm Software from palms website?? also, the palm should work with iSync with no probs.....but first check to see if your running that latest Palm software.]

hope that little bit helps

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I remeber having a similar problem. My problem was that it wouldn't instal because that I already had a folder installed on my hard drive named 'Palm', and since the program couldn't overwrite it, it gave me an error. See if in the location your trying to install (Usually the Applications folder) and see if there is a 'Palm', folder in there. If there is back it up or delete it if you wish and try again.

Hope this helps. :D

4. Muzukun thread starter macrumors regular

didn't work =p

found a palm folder within applications, trashed it, tried running it again, and it stopped on the USB part again.

Oh yeah, I have a clie (... very nice thing but curse you sony...) so I need to get palm desktop on so I can use the missing sync and all. Thanks for the help though.

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Why would the installer be removing the usb?

You could have a look at the logs.
    Open Console from your utilities folder. Click Logs in the top left corner. Look for install.log.
    In the Filter window (top right), you type palm.

Maybe it helps, I didn't find any entries for the installation of my palm desktop :eek::confused:. I only have info on the iSync Palm conduit. If you do find entries you could try to compare it with a logfile of a successful install.
    I apparently didn't install it, it is working ...

Good luck

6. Muzukun thread starter macrumors regular

no luck... looked around through it, and I failed to find anything that is tied towards palm on it either =/

7. matthewr macrumors member

I had this problem, too.

There is a palm patch that you can download from Palm that is supposed to fix this problem - it is due to faulty permissions.

You can get the patch from Palm at:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/permissions_fixer.html

Unfortunately, that patch didn't work for me. So I did a Google search and found a forum with a thread (sorry, can't remember where it was exactly) that was a couple of years old which gave me the answer. You go to Macintosh HD/Libraries/Application Support/ and move the Palm HotSync folder to your desktop. Then try to install the Palm software. If thise works, you can then throw out the Palm HotSync folder that you moved and is now cluttering up your desktop.

(NOTE: that's the Library folder on your HD, not within your user folder).

Let us know if that works for you.

8. Muzukun thread starter macrumors regular

hey nifty that let me install it! thanks!

now I have a new problem, I get an application launch failure msg all the time now for 'transport monitor' basically the msg says the following:

The application "transport monitor" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "h<Transport Monitor><Transport Monitor><HotSyncLib.PPC><__ct__16CTransportRelMacFP18OpaqueTransportRefUc>" any suggestions as to what I should do now? thanks again

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Do you have fast user switching enabled ? I've heard this has been the cause of some issues. I don't have it enabled and have not had any troubles with the palm desktop installation. Just a thought.

10. Muzukun thread starter macrumors regular

Nah, don't have it enabled

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Oh well, it was worth a shot. The problem is that palm's support site is horrific, to put it mildly.Try http://www.howardforums.com/ , or www.treocentral.com -Both of them have info on palm software. Treocentral even has a "Palm with OS X" section in their forums.

12. Trout74 macrumors 6502

I am also having the same problem as you.

I went to PalmSource and downloaded their latest Palm/mac sync software. Then I installed it. IT installed all 730 files, but at the very end it says

"software didnt install completely, reinstall or quit"

well I reinstalled many times to no avail. So I choose quit. Then when I try to opne the hotsync manager or palm desktop I get this error

same as the other guy, library permissions error of some sort. i tried to cut and paste it but I couldnt do it.

any suggestios?

trout 74

13. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Is there an option to let you install the necessary files manually ? I seem to remember this being a workaround. I'll check further, if I can find the link.

14. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I had the Exact same problem!
    I solved it by logging in as the root user and doing the installation there - I am the permissions king, all will bow down!! :D
    EDIT - Oh, and then logging out, logging is as the normal user and repairing the permissions!
    I have to say though, you should not need to know how to do all those things just for installing a sodding Palm product! (sort it out Palm, I'm very dissapointed - so many years' experience - where'd it go!?)

AND - Sort out the iSync palm conduit so the iCal different calendars are supported! (A lot of work need to be done on this in general though!)

15. Muzukun thread starter macrumors regular

ack but... I'm the root/admin user and I'm still having all these problems <=/

16. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Hmm, you have to be ROOT, an ADMIN account isn't enough. Have you enabled the root user account?
    If "NetInfo Manager" sounds alien to you then I doub't it!
    So here's what you do:

1. Open NetInfo Manager in the utilities folder
    2. In the menubar go to Security>Authenticate, and put in your Admin p/w
    3. Go to Security>Enable Root User, and it should prompt for a p/w, put in something you'll remember, but is HARD.
    4. Log out, and under the list of users should be "Other"
    5. Click this and in "Name" enter "root" and under the p/w you just made up
    6. Do your installing - you should have no problems
    7. Log out of "System Administrator" - it looks good, but is dangerous!
    8. Log back in to you own account
    9. Repair Disk permissions is always a good move.

If you've already done all this I apologise, here's the other thing i can remember:

1. Go to HD>Library>Applicatio Support
    2. Find "Palm Desktop" and "Palm Hotsync"
    3. Do 'get info' on these items (command-i)
    4. Expand "Ownership & Permissions:"
    5. Expand "Details"
    6. Click the unlock padlock
    7. Change ownership to your account (enter p/w)
    8. Make sure you can "Read and Write"
    9. Do the installs
    10. Repair permissions

I wish I could just do this for you! It's a hasstle, and I've done it a few times. You may also have problems further down the line if you decide to install the iSync Palm Conduit (With which conduits should be where).

Feel free to PM me if you have trouble.
    Hope this helped.

P.S. You may wanna try method #2 first as being the 'root' user can be dangerous!
    P.P.S. - Why do I know so much!? I should be paid for this s**t!

17. Muzukun thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help, tried them both, still not running perfectly. I got farther under the root setting however, but still got a crazy lil error message as before =p ... is there some way to wipe out any and all references to palm from my HD and then try again to see if that'd make any difference at all?

18. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Yeah, delete those folders aforementioned.
    Also go to Home>documents. Delete the "Palm" folder.
    under Home>Library>Preferences delete anything with palm in it!
    Not sure what else (apart from the apps of course!)

19. matthewr macrumors member

Out of my league

Glad to hear that the removal of Palm HotSync from the library allowed you to install Desktop. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for your new problem. I hope it wasn't cause by anything I told you to delete!

20. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Are you trying to install the version on the cd, or the one from the palm website?
    The latter is A LOT better!
    Gosh, i can't believe after so many years of collaboration, Palm could get things so wrong on the Mac OS!

21. Trout74 macrumors 6502

I dont know about the original poster, but I still cant install my palm software.

This is what I have done:
    Initially installed palm software from CD that came with it.
    Uninstalled software that came with it, and downloaded Palm softwrare from Palm source web site.

Moved "Palm" folder out of library and onto desktop and the Sync folder as well.

I also downloaded some permission repair software someone mentioned, and ran and installed that as well.

this seems like a lot of work to make a Palm work work, it shouldnt be this HARD!!

When I try to connect my Palm to computer it does not see it or recognize it. If I try to open palm desktop it will open, but if I try to sync. to it it will do nothing, and say some long message like.

Library>access denied>.ppc> etc. etc.etc.

can I go to the apple store and have a "genius" help me?? will they do that?

any suggestions?

thanks
    Trout

22. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

did anybody help you with your problem? ^^^ i'd like to know b/c im havin trouble too

23. allensis macrumors newbie

24. anuraagt macrumors newbie

I tried all of the instructions posted here for 4.0, and nothing worked.

A far simpler approach is to install 4.2.1 rev D from the link below:

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/33219_en.html

And then install it (the installer will prompt for admin creds). This should connect smoothly to almost all extant Palm devices (like my visor edge).

The only thing which required tweaking is turning off the installation of OS updates:

1. Applications > Palm > HotSync Manager
    2. Click HotSync > Conduit Settings
    3. Click Install > Conduit Settings > Do Nothing & Make default > OK

With this tweak, 4.2.1 rev D worked beautifully on my Leopard unibody MBP.

Finally, you would want to set up iSync, as per the instructions at iSync > Help > iSync Help > Setting up to sync a Palm OS device.

This will ensure that contacts, calendar and tasks automatically get synced by pushing your sync button on the cradle.