Palm Os To Discontinue Mac Sync

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by question fear, Feb 10, 2004.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Whats_Not_in_Cobalt

Read down to the middle of the page.
    This blows, plain n simple.
    The solution: a 40.00 (!) mark/space third party syncing software.
    This makes no sense, does not seem like a bright business decision, and frankly just rankles me as someone who stuck by palm os because of the simplicity of its mac syncing....if i wanted to use a third-party solution and pay extra on top of the money im already willing to spend, i would have bought a pocket pc or a zaurus.
    I spent 249 on my zire 71 this summer, and i would not have been able to budget for it if i had to shell out another 40 to sync it...wtf?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've never used a Palm, but would iSync do any good in this case?

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

nope. the way isync and the palm os conduit for it work is to use the palm desktop as a go-between, since the palm desktop has all the software for installing and backing palm os programs...so the dates and address book stuff can sync, but without palm os desktop software you couldnt back up your palm or install any new programs on it.
    its just sad...palm os has been such a strong supporter of the mac os and in the last few years its really slipped...bah.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well the current version won't cease to work, so you'll just have to use that as long as you can stand to. Maybe you have to sell off your palm and get something else, but I don't know of any other palmtop makers that are mac friendly either. What are you using your palm for that you can't use a good bluetooth phone for? Maybe a laptop is in your future....

I wonder how my wife's IIIc will hold up through this.

5. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

yea, my guess is through 5.0 its fine...and im not planning on upgrading for a while.
    but even normal use of a newer palm requires the desktop software, and mark/space will fill the gap, but it still stings to have to pay an extra $40.00.
    I know it doesnt change the working of my current palm or any previous ones, its more the principle...if i upgrade i want the features associated with that upgrade and so many are software based these days i dont like getting the short end of the stick.
    im just bitter.