Palm to use Windows mobile on new Treo 700

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by lexfuzo, Sep 24, 2005.

1. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    The heart of Europe
  2. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2002
    Wow, sad day. Not that I could afford any Treo, but still.
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    wow i don't see whats wrong with Windows Mobile. I've been using it since 2001 and its bloody brilliant. the only benefit i found with Palm devices is the much lower cost but lack of uber important wifi (which they seem to be fixing at the moment).

4. lexfuzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    The heart of Europe
    Some like it, some don't. No discussion on that.
    The sad thing here is that:
    - PalmOS is a very good and user-friendly OS and now even closer to extinction with this move of Palm
    - No PalmOS means less choice in the PDA market. The danger of a monoculture is rising. What that means we do know from the desktop market: less innovation and fertile grounds for worms and viruses.

So it's either "meh" or "The beginning of the end :eek: " - Choose your overstatement ;)
  5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    All the more reason to get Blackberry.

I hate my Treo 600.
  6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
  7. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I second that. Blackberry is teh rock.
  8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
  9. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    A Treo is not a PDA; it's a smart phone.

This is pretty much the end of the Palm OS.
  10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I love Blackberrys. My Mom and Dad have matching ones(7100t). If only they had a camera.
  11. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Now if I could get a OSX mobile on a smart phone...

I'm willing to bet Apple's got something cooking in their secret underground lair about a smartphone gui. The PDA is dead because the smartphone just absorbed its features.

It will probably be the same thing with the iPod. Just about everyone has said that the only thing that could take over the iPod is a phone that stored music.
    Of course it would have to become pretty mainstream for it to do so but the threat is still there and if Apple has proved anything over the last few months its that it always has a plan B.

Wow I'm rambling pretty good. Maybe I'll go to some other rumor site and start a good OSX mobile rumor. :p

[fires up Photoshop]
  12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    i am so ****ing disturbed...palm is dead. their evil twins won't even use their sad.