Palm Treo 650

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Solafaa, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Hello i am looking to get a Palm Treo 650, i picked this because i would like to take video/photos, use it as a mobile phone and be able to check my email. The bad thing it is that it has no wi-fi but i can live without it.

Does anyone have any expireance or had a chance to use it?

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

The camera has VGA resolution (640x480) which is not very much. Not your average photo/video monster. Some gsm's come with a megapixel camera these days.

But the treo sure looks like a good deal. My dad will prolly order one soon so some user comments would be nice indeed.

3. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I have a treo 600 and I intend to upgrade to the 650 whenever Verizon gets around to supporting it. The biggest drawback (to me) is the low res screen on the 600. My 3 year old Sony Clie T615 has a high res screen. Apparently the camera is a lot better on the 650, plus it has bluetooth, a high res screen and a built in (software) MP3 player. Overall I am very satisfied with the 600, although (a) I have not had it long enough to see how reliable it is and (b) the data plan from Verizon is crazy expensive.

4. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Oh yeah-- regarding wi-fi-- I read somewhere that a wi-fi card for the 650 should be produced some time this year for about $150 (3 months of Verizon unlimited data plan). Google treo 650 wifi-- it may have been on Engadget. :cool:

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i had a treo 600 and thought it was just okay, then sold it and switched to a symbian smartphone (nokia 6620) and a separate pda (tungsten t5). so, i don't have anything to share with you, except a great resource that i used when i had my treo: www.treocentral.com

lots of reviews and other information there. best of luck in finding what you're looking for!

marianne

6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Why did you switch, if i may ask?
    Not bothered by changing from 1 to 2 devices?

Thx and goodnight for now.

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

at first, i thought that having one device instead of a separate pda and cell phone was a great idea. however, i really overlooked what i do most with my pda. i read ebooks (i prefer this than to buying real books - a small gesture on my part to help save at least a few trees :p) often, play games when i'm waiting somewhere (everywhere - on the subway, in the doctor's office, waiting for a movie to start), and i write myself reminders and to-do's whenever i think of them. well, the treo 600 has a tiny screen and no graffiti input (which is faster for me than a tiny keyboard). reading ebooks (especially on the lo-res screen) was painful on the treo, and games just weren't that enjoyable. plus, it's shaped more like a cell phone, of course, and i like to read ebooks in landscape mode, and this just didn't work well. also, there were some navigational things with the treo that just irked me a bit and i really did hate the lo-res screen. from what i've read, the 650 sounds like a great improvement over the 600 for the most part, but i'm really liking my large-screen t5 and my current cell phone does just what i need and no more.

marianne

8. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Thx! :)
    a longer/wider :confused: ;) display when using landscape is nicer indeed.
    graffiti is great indeed, i use a Zire 71 myself. I just installed Graffiti Anywhere thx to you, and i love it ! it's great. it enables u to write anywhere on the screen ! (but maybe that's possible in the newer models - didn't find that info on the palm pages)
    EDIT: found this option in the preferences, no need for third part software :eek: ;) :p
    the keyboard on the treo, i don't like either. the SE p9xx has a much better solution, at least they offer u the option of taking it of.
    :rolleyes: you pwn me there ;) on picture the corners do seem a little sharp though (just helping myself cope, sry)

thx for your insights!