Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Depends on what your gonna be using it for...maybe you can elaborate
on that a bit...

I have the Tungsten T5 which I feel is the bigger brother to the TX.
Whether or not its recommendable depends on your usage of it.
I use mine solely in the medical field and I would have to say it is wonderful
since the majority of medical programs are written for palm.
If you want it solely for pictures/gaming/videos/music, I would look elsewhere. If you just want organization/contacts/etc...a TX will get the job done and leave you with a hand full of features to play with.

I grew up using the palm os, so naturally I like it and since I love mac os, I stay far away from the window handhelds.

Hope that kinda helps.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
As much as I could play with tethered machines in the store, I really liked it and think that it would be a useful machine.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I basically rediscovered the usefulness of a Palm. I have an m100 and recently got back to using it. Since I'm older and busier, it actually has a use besides being an alarm clock (that's what I used it for).

I was wondering mostly about stability (hearing a few things about crashes in some reviews, perfect stability in other reviews) and how web-browsing is. And is the screen responsive? The old m100 wasn't all that great with Graffiti and hitting the little check boxes for the To-Do List was a pain. The Digitizer wasn't very effective.

I decided I wanted a Palm TX because it'd be a nice laptop replacement, IMHO. As far as a laptop goes, I just need a word processor and WiFi so I can step away from my computer, and sit and chill while doing my papers for school. I get side-tracked easily while on my iMac while doing homework. :cool:

The TX has built-in WiFi and includes Documents-to-Go, so I figured it fits well with my needs. Is Documents-to-Go a sufficient Word replacement? Spell check and grammar check still supported or will I have to sync it back on my Mac for editing?

I don't really need to view photos, movies can stay on DVDs and computer as far as I care, and my music is on my iPod.

Of course, the basic calendar and to-do list are needs. The iPod is nice at displaying info, but not so much for editing. I've been using my m100 more lately for those two features, so a Palm is now essential for me.

Although, I am tempted to buy a Z22 because there are a few retailers selling it at a nice $79 on Black Friday... But, I'm a little worried about having yet another Palm that's as responsive as a m100. Yet, I'd save a lot of money even after a keyboard and getting Documents to Go Premium.

Any suggestions?

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
For me, running os 5.4 has been stable. I had my T5 for five months now and it did crash on me once on the second day, I did a hard reset and it has never happened again.

In my experience screen responsiveness is really good compared to the past. Graffiti is still really picky in your strokes but I have abandoned that for the onscreen keyboard which lets me get things done much faster.

I have never used wireless since I don't need it and since it's not built into the T5. I personally would caution you on the Z22 since wireless is not built in and from what I have read when I did my palm searching was that the wifi card was very unstable (mind you, that was five months ago...I don't know about now, but I have a feeling nothing has changed).

Documents to go does has spelling check with the premium or office edition. There is no grammar check. I think it will suit you if your just doing basic text stuff.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
That was insightful. Thanks.

I think I'm set for buying a TX. Now for someone to give some insight about web browsing with the TX, and I think I'll buy it.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Well, I finally did it... I bought my Palm TX, and it arrived today.

Like I said, it's my laptop replacement, so I went ahead and bought the keyboard and a leather case. Those two items have yet to arrive though.

My sister bought her Z22 on Black Friday and gave me her old Zire to me. I already had an m100, but a Zire allowed me to finally connect my Palm to my USB-based Macs at home (my Bondi Blue iMac's IR doesn't work in OS X...). So, I used that for less than a week and felt I was ready for my real first Palm.

The TX is quite impressive. A little screw up on my part when I was Hot Syncing some old data on to the new TX made it infinitely turn on and off for a while. :p I fixed it though. I was a little worried web browsing would be crappy compared to a PocketPC, but I can say in widened mode, web browsing is certainly useable for a handheld device. I love being able to turn the screen horizontal and vertical by a simple tap. Greatest thing ever for viewing media and web surfing. The screen is huge and clear. Love it.

Documents to Go has also impressed me. Very compatible and useable. I got my college essays ready for typing as soon as my keyboard arrives.

My GMail on my Palm is also very handy.

I love the TX. It's the greatest Palm I've ever owned.

Any ideas what to do with my old m100 and Zire? I use the m100 as an alarm clock because it runs on AAA's and it has its backlight. Not too sure about what to do with the Zire except for a backup.

And do any of you have some good software suggestions or good download sites? I downloaded two (actually nice freebies) programs for keeping a shopping list and keeping track of my Christmas shopping lists. I always felt getting freebies sucked for the Palm. Not too many developers put in effort for quality. Feel free to post commercial and shareware titles, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.