Palm TX

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applekid, Nov 19, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Anybody have one/tried one and find it recommendable (or not)?
  2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    Depends on what your gonna be using it for...maybe you can elaborate
    on that a bit...

I have the Tungsten T5 which I feel is the bigger brother to the TX.
    Whether or not its recommendable depends on your usage of it.
    I use mine solely in the medical field and I would have to say it is wonderful
    since the majority of medical programs are written for palm.
    If you want it solely for pictures/gaming/videos/music, I would look elsewhere. If you just want organization/contacts/etc...a TX will get the job done and leave you with a hand full of features to play with.

I grew up using the palm os, so naturally I like it and since I love mac os, I stay far away from the window handhelds.

Hope that kinda helps.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    As much as I could play with tethered machines in the store, I really liked it and think that it would be a useful machine.
  4. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

May 1, 2005
    Florida West Coast
    I just purchased a T/X yesterday. Have it syncing with my PB 12" 1.5. Works great. If you have any specific questions I can try to address them.
  5. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I basically rediscovered the usefulness of a Palm. I have an m100 and recently got back to using it. Since I'm older and busier, it actually has a use besides being an alarm clock (that's what I used it for).

I was wondering mostly about stability (hearing a few things about crashes in some reviews, perfect stability in other reviews) and how web-browsing is. And is the screen responsive? The old m100 wasn't all that great with Graffiti and hitting the little check boxes for the To-Do List was a pain. The Digitizer wasn't very effective.

I decided I wanted a Palm TX because it'd be a nice laptop replacement, IMHO. As far as a laptop goes, I just need a word processor and WiFi so I can step away from my computer, and sit and chill while doing my papers for school. I get side-tracked easily while on my iMac while doing homework. :cool:

The TX has built-in WiFi and includes Documents-to-Go, so I figured it fits well with my needs. Is Documents-to-Go a sufficient Word replacement? Spell check and grammar check still supported or will I have to sync it back on my Mac for editing?

I don't really need to view photos, movies can stay on DVDs and computer as far as I care, and my music is on my iPod.

Of course, the basic calendar and to-do list are needs. The iPod is nice at displaying info, but not so much for editing. I've been using my m100 more lately for those two features, so a Palm is now essential for me.

Although, I am tempted to buy a Z22 because there are a few retailers selling it at a nice $79 on Black Friday... But, I'm a little worried about having yet another Palm that's as responsive as a m100. Yet, I'd save a lot of money even after a keyboard and getting Documents to Go Premium.

Any suggestions?
  6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    For me, running os 5.4 has been stable. I had my T5 for five months now and it did crash on me once on the second day, I did a hard reset and it has never happened again.

In my experience screen responsiveness is really good compared to the past. Graffiti is still really picky in your strokes but I have abandoned that for the onscreen keyboard which lets me get things done much faster.

I have never used wireless since I don't need it and since it's not built into the T5. I personally would caution you on the Z22 since wireless is not built in and from what I have read when I did my palm searching was that the wifi card was very unstable (mind you, that was five months ago...I don't know about now, but I have a feeling nothing has changed).

Documents to go does has spelling check with the premium or office edition. There is no grammar check. I think it will suit you if your just doing basic text stuff.
  7. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    That was insightful. Thanks.

I think I'm set for buying a TX. Now for someone to give some insight about web browsing with the TX, and I think I'll buy it.
  8. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Well, I finally did it... I bought my Palm TX, and it arrived today.

Like I said, it's my laptop replacement, so I went ahead and bought the keyboard and a leather case. Those two items have yet to arrive though.

My sister bought her Z22 on Black Friday and gave me her old Zire to me. I already had an m100, but a Zire allowed me to finally connect my Palm to my USB-based Macs at home (my Bondi Blue iMac's IR doesn't work in OS X...). So, I used that for less than a week and felt I was ready for my real first Palm.

The TX is quite impressive. A little screw up on my part when I was Hot Syncing some old data on to the new TX made it infinitely turn on and off for a while. :p I fixed it though. I was a little worried web browsing would be crappy compared to a PocketPC, but I can say in widened mode, web browsing is certainly useable for a handheld device. I love being able to turn the screen horizontal and vertical by a simple tap. Greatest thing ever for viewing media and web surfing. The screen is huge and clear. Love it.

Documents to Go has also impressed me. Very compatible and useable. I got my college essays ready for typing as soon as my keyboard arrives.

My GMail on my Palm is also very handy.

I love the TX. It's the greatest Palm I've ever owned.

Any ideas what to do with my old m100 and Zire? I use the m100 as an alarm clock because it runs on AAA's and it has its backlight. Not too sure about what to do with the Zire except for a backup.

And do any of you have some good software suggestions or good download sites? I downloaded two (actually nice freebies) programs for keeping a shopping list and keeping track of my Christmas shopping lists. I always felt getting freebies sucked for the Palm. Not too many developers put in effort for quality. Feel free to post commercial and shareware titles, too.