palm zire 71 vs. viewsonic v36

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by drews85, Dec 27, 2003.

1. drews85 macrumors newbie

i was hoping for osme input on the two pdas. especcially from pocket pc users who sync with a mac. any help or input is appreciated

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Well, PocketPC doesn't natively sync with the Mac. You need to buy a piece of software called "The Missing Sync", which is around $30 I think. The Palm will natively sync with PalmDesktop and iSync. I'd go with the Palm. It has a higher resolution screen, and I much prefer the Palm OS to PocketPC.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

go palm!

it's far better OS, the zire has done really well, good performance and with the 30 Bucks extra for the Pocket Peecee software, buy accesories you may need...

4. drews85 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ive been leaning towards the zire 71 too but was wondering if their some kind of word compatible program on their?

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You're not going to get Word compatibility with the Zire. It does not come with Documents to Go, which is what you need. You will need to get one of the Tungsten series handhelds to get Docs to Go. The Tungsten E is nice, but does not have a camera.

6. drews85 thread starter macrumors newbie

so is their no way top get documents to go on the zire? maybe i should get a tungsten e, though i think the canera could really become handy.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

you can buy docs to go or wordsmith, another great program.
    hell, buy wordsmith for 30.00, get the zire. i use a zire71 and its great. the camera i use sometimes for work, for quick shots, and as a pda palmos rules.
    Also, you can often get wordsmith or docs to go with the purchase of a keyboard for the palm, so if you were thinking of getting one thats a great reason right there.
    wordsmith works better than pocket word...it will use advanced fonts and formatting and will preserve more of your formatting when you sync.
    its a lovely program.
    so yes, while a tungsten series will come with docs to go for free, its not the only source.
    fear not.
    -carly

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

PPC good for corps with no brains.
    Palm good for everyone else.

Go to a store and try them out and see what you like best as they can all have MSOffice compatability.

The last is a no-brainer

9. drews85 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thanks for the input im gonna get the zire 71 and if i need the software ill do some demos and see what i like and if i think their worth it. I havent used a pda since my old visor and visor deluxe when they first came out. itll be intresting to see whats changed with the os. im am kinda hung up on the tungsten e but i really want a camera and i do have a 256mb sd card so the 16mb on board wont be that big a deal, i just wish it came with documents to go, then thatd be my definitie choice but oh well, ill probably still get it.

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

If you need docs to go and can live without a universal connector and camera - get the Tungsten|E. It has docs to go (tungsten line is pro line vs zire is "fun" line) and more memory than your Z71 not to mention it costs about 50-100 less.

enough for an SD Veo camera

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

benixau is right.

however, i dont know the circumstances under which you'll be using this...but i tried to sell my dad on a new palm, to upgrade from his m500...no dice on the tungsten e...the lack of a cradle was the killer. I guess using it in an office setting the cradle made it easier to access and use during business hrs.

Your absolute best bet is to go to a store and play...staples, best buy, etc have them to touch and use..I like staples better because they dont lock them into the display, so you can really get a feel for size and stuff.

But best buy usually leaves them on.
    In any case, let us know what you decide and if you have any other problems!

--carly