palmOne LifeDrive anyone?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mike czech, May 18, 2005.

1. mike czech macrumors member

Dec 7, 2002
    619 SD CA
  2. nichos macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Looks cool, but i would rather apple expand the contact capabilities of the ipod. Not because it's apple, but because a 4g mp3 player isn't that big.
  3. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

May 10, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    I wouldn't buy it. I am one of those people against all in one devices, because they normally don't do anything well. I don't even think apple could pull it off. The only thing I might go for is an iTunes enabled phone, simply because I can't take my mini everywhere. It looks promising though... but it looks like it has the same ability as a blackberry. Are you able to view word files on it? or does it just store them in a windows like enviroment?
  4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Hey that looks exactly like my T3 but with a microdrive in it!
    The T3 has poor battery life at best - i wonder what that thing has?
    The T3 has a screen with better res than a PSP, I just wish they made the battery better and made the storage bigger and i'd be able to comfortably watch movies on it - oh wait - maybe this is what this device does..
    Huge price though!
  5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Sw33t! I want I want :p

£329... not bad I suppose. Shove a 6gb microdrive in there and i'd have bought it perhaps.
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Its amazing, but yeah, a 6GB drive is much appreciated.

I'd still consider buying it if I wasn't a student. :)
  7. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    Well at least palmOne is trying something...I don't think this is going to set any sales records though. Even someone from palmOne said their target market is their installed base. Not looking to save the PDA with the LifeDrive.

This won't move me off of my Clie TH55. Not even close. The LifeDrive is pretty thick and early reviews say the HD slows things down a bit. With my 512mb memory stick I can do everything this promises right now. I have Star Wars A New Hope down to 250mb and it looks very good on my TH55.

I'm a bit surpised that Palm didn't come out with new PIM apps like Sony's Clie Organizer. CO allows for drag and drop of pictures, voice notes, and allows you to draw write on the calendar.

When Tivo's started to get popular all the analysts said that hard drives were the new microprocessors--everything would have a hard drive soon--your TV, DVD player/recorder, music player, cell phone/PDA. I guess this is starting to happen now. Heck you can store 512mb of data in an ink pen now!
  8. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    I have a T5 that I mainly use to listen to audiobooks. OK, when I bought it, I had big plans for what I was going to use it for, but it ended up becoming mainly an expensive handheld solitaire game :(

I thought about waiting for the Lifedrive to come out because of the 4GB hard drive it was supposed to have, but the problem with the T5 is that while listening to a book and playing solitaire at the same time, every time I bail on a game, the audio skips - very annoying. Also, the sound is very poor and the battery life is very low.

So I treated myself to an iPod Photo instead. The sound is way better, 60GB means I can probably keep myself in books for a very long time and the battery seems to go on forever.

Early reports of the Lifedrive are not very encouraging - it seems that the drive spins down to save the battery and then it takes several seconds to spin back up so your work keeps getting interrupted - that would be annoying.

Take care, Margaret
  9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    too big.
    too short battery life (i guess).
    no bluetooth 2.0.
    fast memory cards will soon be at 2 or 4 GB, thats enough for business use.
    no real funcionality over a tungsten or zire except the memory.

so why would i want one?

i have to admit, it looks cool. but i like my zire, the battery lasts for a few days use, i can do word, pdf, excel, powerpoint, i can plug in 512 MB cards or more.

so why do i need the livedrive?

if it was half as thick, based on memory cards and one week of battery life and a kick ass screen then maybe.

my 2 cents.
  10. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i'm thinking about getting one - can't prevent my gadget geek tendencies from coming through when something like this is released. i have a tungsten t5 right now and really wish it had wifi (without the need for the sd card wifi adapter). having a 4 gb hard drive would be nice for my gps system so i can have ALL of my maps available at any given time, plus for the nice library of ebooks i keep.

i really should wait for rev 2 of these, but i'm not sure if i can! i'm reading reviews as they come out to see how it seems to be working for folks. right now, i'm bummed that it's a collapsing stylus and that the existing graffiti 1 hacks don't work with it (i hate hate hate graffiti 2). we'll see how long i can hold out before my t5 goes on ebay to make way for the lifedrive... ;)