palying GC games on the wii with classic controller?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Malus, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Is it possible? I'm thinkin of getting some GC games tomorrow, but I dont want to get a controller too....anyone know or tested to see if the classic controller works?

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Bummer, don't think it can, but GC controllers are like $5 now......

"Classic Controller"

"The classic controller cannot be used to play games for the Nintendo Gamecube. According to the Nintendo Online Shop, the Classic Controller can only be used with virtual console games. It should also be noted that the Gamecube controller can be used instead of the Classic Controller for playing most virtual console games.
    During E3 2006 Nintendo introduced a Classic Controller, which plugs into the Wii Remote via a cord, similar to the Nunchuk controller. The Classic Controller showcased contains no space for the Wii Remote to slot inside, as previously described, but does contain slots on the backside, opened via a rectangular button at the top of the controller, presumably for clipping the controller to something else. The purpose for these slots remains undisclosed."

3. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I find this hard to believe, the classic controller won't work with the 'Cube? That just seems odd.

I'd pick up a 'Cube controller anyway, in my opinion they're the best controllers ever designed. :)

4. therevolution macrumors 6502

While it's true you can't use the classic controller for GC games, Wii games can optionally support it.

For example, Dragon Ball Z. Quoting IGN's review:

I know this isn't what you wanted, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. It's nice that the classic controller is not strictly limited to the virtual console.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Honestly, I wish they had just made a new wireless, white GC controller and do away with the Classic controller... it's just not useful enough. Works for VC games and that's about it (aside from, apparently, some Wii games now)? I heard there are a few VC games that require it and don't work with the GC controller, which /really/ doesn't make sense. But in many cases you'll have to use the GC controller (SSBB, N64 games, GC games) anyway. It's a great way for Nintendo to make more money, but having so many peripherals is annoying.

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i agree totally. i have only used one once, and it hurt my hand so much less than any other controller

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Cube has deep analog shoulder buttons that you have to press in pretty far, and they click when you get them down all the way.

A number of games, including Rogue Squadron II and III, Super Mario Sunshine, etc, rely on this functionality and are unplayable otherwise. The Classic controller lacks this.

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

That would do it. I haven't seen the classic controller in person, so I just assumed it had analog L/R buttons.

The classic controller seems even more pointless to me now, heh heh.

9. therevolution macrumors 6502

Not true. The shoulder buttons are analog and click when they get all the way down. The distance you have to go doesn't seem as far as the GC controller, but they're definitely analog.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hm, actually I think someone told me that in another thread and I forgot :D

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I think that the reason the classic controller doesn't work with GC titles is because it relies on bluetooth for its wireless. The Wii actually has a hardware Gamecube stuffed in there rather than emulating one, so instead of adding bluetooth support to the gamecube they came up with this half-a**ed solution. Bad engineering in my opinion really.

I guess the penny-pinchers decided that they could sell both classic controllers and gamecube controllers while also not alienating people who already had gamecube controllers but it does suck to have all these controller options. Especially, if you want to play gamecube games wirelessly....The wavebird receiver may work with the Wii but it looks pretty damn ugly sitting on top...The Wii is incredibly fun but it really feels like a rush job. Don't even get me started about the half-a**ed multimedia additions and stretched out VC titles...Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii but I don't understand the point of putting out something that isn't perfect on the market...I guess I'm just a perfectionist..