Panasonic AG-HSC1U AVCHD Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Multimedia, Mar 14, 2007.

?

Do You Own or Plan To Own A Panasonic AG-HSC1U AVCHD Camcorder?

1. I Own One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I Plan To Own One By May 2007

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I Plan To Own One By July 2007

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I Plan To Own One By Christmas 2007

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No I Already Own A HDV Camcorder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No I Already Own Another AVCHD Camcorder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No I Already Own A SD DV Camcorder And Am Not Ready For HD

50.0%
  8. Just Curious

50.0%
  1. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Panasonic AG-HSC1U - Three 1/4" CCDs about the same size as the HC7. $2099 list. I may have to buy one of these as well. HDMI out. Manual Audio Gain with external audio IN. This is a serious Sony HDR-HC7 competitor. Street will likely be little more than $1500.

This camera comes with a 40GB HDD they call a SD or "Store Drive" and a 4GB SDHC Memory Card for that price. Writes to the SDHC Card at 88 minutes/4GB and you can copy your recoerdings to the 40GB Store Drive. You can't write to the SD directly. It uses a MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression scheme so HC7 is still way better as its compression scheme is much lower @ 25mbps or about 18 minutes/4GB of HDV tape space.. But it's not clear yet that will always be the case. I wonder how low can you set the compression scheme? If it can record over 30mbps then it's a serious HDV competitor. It's supposed to ship THIS MONTH of March 2007. Edited files are Blu-ray ready to be burned that way.

There is an iMovie 6 MPEG-4 project video format option that might be compatible with these camera's files. It communicates via HDMI and USB2 ports on its right side just in front of the handstrap under a rubber hood. Looks very promising. Weighs 1.1 pounds.

So this looks like the race is really on now. I found this on page 13 of the new April issue of DV Magazine.

Attached Files:

2. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

Camcorderinfo.com's First Impressions

Camcorderinfo.com's First Impression Review from February 5th.
    Here's two more shots of the camera plus the .7 wide angle lens kit.

Attached Files:

3. tilman macrumors regular

Beware! It is my understanding that AVCHD editing options on a computer are extremely limited at the moment, with no support at all on the Mac. This is not the same H.264 flavor that Apple is using in its products, and Apple isn't even listed as a supporter of this format on the official AVCHD information web site.

4. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

AVCHD Is Not Ready For Mac Yet But May Be Soon

Absolutely. But that may all melt away on April 15 or worst case when Leopard and iLife '07 ship.

But the Sony HDR-HC7 Still Wins The Best Picture Contest:
    At 88min/4GB SDHC module vs. 18min/4GB of HDV Tape this puts the AG-HSC1U bitrate at around 5mbps vs the 25mbps HDV rate. Seems like an impossably low bitrate compared to the maximum AVCHD bitrate of 24mbps.