panic log

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Tarlach, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Tarlach macrumors newbie

I have occasional kernal panic's on 10.2.2, Jag doesn't show a panic log. I can't find it anywhere to turn logging on for kernal panics. Where does one turn on logging?

Thanks all for any help offered.

2. conceptdev macrumors regular

Open console (in the utilities folder in applications) then go to preferences, click the "crashes"tab. Select "Enable crash reporting."

If it is already enabled it should be in:
    /library/logs/panic.log

I am curious to know on what kind of machine and under which circumstances these panics are taking place. I recently whent through a period of kernel panic hell. There should be some sort of kernel panic thread or database for reference or to take to apple because I think this becomming a real issue for a large number of OSX users.

3. Tarlach thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. I'll fire up panic logging now.

I am running a G3 B &W 400, with 384 mb RAM, Maxtor 30 gb HD (7200), plus the original. I keep everything updated on it, so I am sure I have all the latest updates.

4. Tarlach thread starter macrumors newbie

Very strange.
    I had crash logging turned on and there are no panic.log files on this computer.
    hmmmm.

5. conceptdev macrumors regular

If the crashes are persistant I would look into things, atleast they are the things apple repeatedly told me to do; first check the RAM, apparently bad ram usually does this and the second is third party devices. That may help some what. Are you getting black screen panics, the screen goes mostly black and text of the panic is displayed on it or are you getting the less microsoftesque grey window stating that you must restart the machine?

6. conceptdev macrumors regular

Apples guide to panic logging

www.info.apple.com

Mac OS X: How to Log a Kernel Panic
    Article ID: 106228

same steps. In addition try making it "automatically display crash logs" that way the panic log will start up when you log back in and you can save the log to text. That might work, can't promise though.

7. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

USB panics

I was getting the grey window panic saying my computer needed to be restarted fairly frequently when I went from OS 9 to OS X. It ended up being a USB device/driver that caused the problem. Since discovering this, no panics so far. Just a thought for ya.

8. Tarlach thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, I just got up so am groggy. I'll look into everything.
    My panic's are the faded box in the center that ask to restart the machine.

The only thing I have added is a usb hub (but didn't need a driver) and a microsoft mouse which I love. I suspect the mouse. It also could be RAM as indicated above. I'll check out the apple site, thanks.
    I'll report my findings here.

9. Tarlach thread starter macrumors newbie

No help at info.apple.com all of that I already knew. My 10.2.2 does NOT automatically create a panic.log as indicated. In console preferences logging is turned on yet there is no panic.log file on any of my HD's. I have searched repeatedly now and there is no log file that might be a kernal panic log even one labeled something differently. There is one from a week ago labeled ???.crash.log. This can't be it though because it doesn't contain the dates when the panic happens.

My situation is:
    It appears to be panicking when apple builtin screen saver is running. I am running a slide show created with iphoto. Often when my computer has been running I will come back in the morning to go to work and it will have crashed.

I'll try running a stock builtin screensaver. Maybe there is a bad file or something that iphoto created for the screensaver.

All other ideas appreciated. It doesn't crash but about every 2-3 days. But that is too much. I am running this machine as a webserver. A unix box should have much higher uptime than this. The max I have gotten is 2-3 days. I have reformatted, install with archive.

I'll order some new memory so I can remove old memory and check if that is it.

10. conceptdev macrumors regular

Norton

Are you running norton, it gave me panics to (in conjunction with photoshop albeit).
    I would go through further checks before spending any money on RAM.

We need a panic database!

PS

2-3 days is not so bad I had atleast 3-4 per day in my old machine.

11. Tarlach thread starter macrumors newbie

any crashes are bad when I am running clients websites on this webserver. It must be online.

No, I am not running norton or anything out of the usual. I have done no dock haxie or anything like that either.

I suspect

screensaver
    microsoft mouse (I really hate to stop using this)
    RAM

I'll disable the screen saver now and see if/when it happens again.

What really puzzles me is there are no panic.log files anywhere.
    How can that be?
    I know the panic text is kept in PRAM then written to a file when restarting but that doesn't happen in my case. No length of power button holding will restart my machine. I must power down and cold boot.

12. Tarlach thread starter macrumors newbie

In case through my frustrations I don't seem appreciative, I am.
    Thank you for the help provided.
    I do appreciate it.

Tarlach