Panic Time !

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by HankReardon, Dec 18, 2004.

1. HankReardon macrumors newbie

Dec 18, 2004
    Hey folks! I'm brand new to this board, and forgive me if I'm in the wrong section. Here goes...Bought a ipod mini last night. Installed the software, and charged the battery. Hooked up the USB cable to my Toshiba laptop...I know.....wrong choice of computers! The itunes screen comes up showing all music on my laptop (media player). ipods screen says "Do not disconnect". Well 3 hours later, same message. My question, how long should it take to upload 90 songs? I tried resetting the ipod, then unchecked all but one song. Still songs installed yet! The thing is, this is a Christmas present for my girlfriend. What am I doing wrong???
  2. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2002
    Washington, DC.
    In itunes on the left where it shows your ipod connected there will be a little "eject" button. Just hit that before disconnecting. It's kind of like safely removing a USb device if you've run XP.
  3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Bingo. That way you don't loose various things... I've lost preferences before and some people have had their music get wiped out before. But just reconnecting it syncs it back. It does that because there can be a cache of data that isn't actually on the iPod, but claims to be.

No biggie, really. Just a safety net.
  4. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    Also make sure you click "auto update all songs and playlists" or something like that. You can find that option by, clicking on the ipod in the playlists window when it is connected then 4 bottons on the lower right will appear in itunes and click I think the first or second one. I'm thinking that your ipod might be setup for manual update rather than auto update. I hardly ever eject my ipod the right way and I have had no problems. But I do firmware restore on it monthly.
  5. HankReardon thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 18, 2004
    Wow! Thanks for the quick replies! Its working great now, and blows away any other MP3 player I've ever heard!
    thanks again!
    Rick :)
  6. rudaboo macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2005
    How do I safely Disconnect with windows ME and the safely remove hardware icon is not in the systray
  7. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2004
    If you go to My Computer the Ipod should show up as an external drive, you can right click on that and hit eject. The ipod should go to the regular screen, then disconnect it.