PANICING... 17" PB arrived, HELP! S.O.S

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Demon Hunter, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Hey guys, my Mac knowledge is not helping me at the moment. I need your help. :(

My new PB arrived... my 15" was plagued with keyboard issues and this is the replacement machine. Everything seemed fine... maybe I have a curse or something.

This is a brand new 17" PB with extra RAM.

Please help me diagnose this...

My display seems very... grainy. The white doesn't seem completely white. When I look at the screen from different angles, it looks like static, like on TV. It's much more subtle though, of course. It's like this over the whole screen. The hinge is good, except when it gets near the bottom, it really tightens up. This doesn't seem right... it feels like there's a lot of pressure when I hit the hinge button. Did they screw something up with the hinge cables?!

I seem to have dead pixels everywhere. :( I can rub them out but they show up in different places, or just get fainter. It feels like I'm going insane! I downloaded Screen Query and just don't know what to do. The colors don't seem as solid as they should be.

I would give you a dead pixel count but I can't seem to decide which are real and which are going away... god, it must be at least 5, sometimes in groups of two. God.

The keyboard is nearly perfect... the bottom left hand arrow key makes a louder noise and I can see the keyboard move up and down a little.

From where they installed my RAM, there's this very, very small piece of metal mesh it looks like, coming from the seam. I can fix this by opening the RAM area, I think.

Should I call Apple immediately? My friend is coming over tomorrow to give a second opinion. I've waited soooooo long for this computer. Help, help, help. :( :( :(
  2. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Also... another way of describing it, the LCD just looks kind of dirty.

At first I thought it was the resolution, since it has the look of a lower, "dirty" resolution... but nope, it's 1440x990. :(
  3. nekkets macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2004
    maybe you should bring your powerbook over to apple and tell them your problem?
    their QC is getting worse
  4. arribadia macrumors member

Apr 5, 2005
    Yeap, I'm sure they'd be able to help you. Demand the extra rights from the premium you are paying!
  5. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, there is something horribly wrong here. I just compared it to our TiBook (old reliable) and aside from brightness, the TiBook has superior display clarity...

Also: yes, I have calibrated the display...
  6. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    I'd bring it to an apple tech to see what they can do..

About the dead pixels... since you said you have 5... i think they might replace it for you.. check out

Reading from other forums.. usually Apple replaces if its 4 or more..

If they can rub out.. then i guess its fine.. i had a 12" 1.33Ghz and it had one dead pixel in the middle.. but it rubbed out.. so i wasn't too worried.
  7. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
  8. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2002
    You have taken off the sticky plastic screen protector... haven't you? :eek:
  9. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Plastic screen protector? :p
  10. MacRy macrumors 68040

Apr 2, 2004
    Oh god I hope that's the problem.....that would just be too funny! :)
  11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    I don't recall any of my Mac notebooks to have screen protectors when new. On my pc notebooks, though, that was a different story. lol, stickers everywhere.
  12. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, I wish there was such a thing...

As I should've guessed, Apple phone support was next to useless since they can't see it. Looks like a trip to the Genius Bar is in order (ughh).
  13. nekkets macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2004
    they will get you a new one
    don't worry too much
  14. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004

Tomorrow I'll explain my situation and hopefully get a swap. I mean, this is my REPLACEMENT, I can't see them making me send it in for repairs again... that's just ridiculous. I'll bring my letter of upgrade and the little receipt tag. Wish me luck.
  15. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Today I went to the Apple Store and they swapped the laptop and my extra memory without too much trouble. This one seems much better assembled and has a clear screen. :)

16. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales