Panorama Photo Mode Coming to iPhone 4S with iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One of the highlighted features of the iPhone 5 during today's media event was a new Panorama mode for stitching together multiple photos to create a single large panoramic image up to 28 megapixels in size. As rumored yesterday, the feature is also included on the new fifth-generation iPod touch.

[​IMG]

iSight camera specs for iPhone 5 (left) and iPhone 4S (right)
    According to Apple's iPhone model comparison page, iPhone 4S users will not be left out of this feature addition, with the spec comparison listing "Panorama" as one of the features of the iSight camera on both the iPhone 4S and 5. The feature will not be available with the lower-quality rear camera found on the iPhone 4.

Update 1:58 PM: The iOS 6 golden master released to developers today does indeed enable Panorama mode on the iPhone 4S.

[​IMG]

(Thanks, Alec!)

Article Link: Panorama Photo Mode Coming to iPhone 4S with iOS 6

2. macrumors 6502a

something tells me its an error. This is very un-Apple like :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 6502a

antster94

4. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It genuinely seems the iPhone 5 didn't get anything the iPhone 4S can't do in terms of software, which seems a first.

5. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

yep I just installed the GM and already have it sweet! Works much better then it did in the hack earlier this year.

6. macrumors 6502

That's great news :D.

Edit: actually, I'd rather have the ability to take photos while recording, but that's iPhone 5 only :(. Oh well I'll just do what I usually do and pause the video then take a screenshot lol.

7. macrumors 604

bushido

Well thats a first and also means the only thing my 4S isnt getting is an extra row of apps :D

8. Editor emeritus

longofest

Except for battery life. My wife is constantly plugging in her iPhone 4S, whereas my iPhone 4 can last for days. I'm expecting/hoping that the iPhone 5 returns to iPhone 4-like performance for battery, as that is what was the promise of the Cortex A15.

9. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Bottom of the iOS 6 What's New page:
    No digging in odd places needed.

And this marks the first iOS upgrade that I'll get every single feature on my existing device on!

10. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes. I was going to be on the fence but the increased power of the A6 coupled with the increased battery life makes me sad my 4S needs to be plugged in.

11. macrumors newbie

Thats right. I will stay on my 4S. I love Apple for bringing iOS 6 on the 4S.

12. macrumors 6502

Except taking photos while recording video, although that isn't any major feature

13. macrumors 6502a

Photosynth app does pretty good landscapes if you want the feature on pre-4S iPhones.

14. macrumors newbie

whammink

15. macrumors 6502

I think capturing pictures while taking video is still only iPhone 5 function and face detection in video.

16. macrumors 6502a

True but sad. :cool:

17. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Not really surprising at all. Good to know though.

18. macrumors 6502a

Yep. Installed iOS 6 GM and tried looking for that feature. Taking photos while recording videos isn't there for iPhone 4S. Not that it's something I'll use often.

19. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Not on the iPhone 4? There can't be any reasonable excuse for that other than the fact that Apple wants us to spend money if we are going to get certain features. They're giving out iOS 6 for free to people with iPhones that are 2 generations behind, so I won't complain.

20. macrumors 65816

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I can confirm this is working on iOS 6 GM with the iPhone 4S. Took a couple panoramas already. I dislike the displayed interface on the screen, though, the cues feel backwards to me, like they're telling me to go higher when I'm too high, or lower when I'm too low.

Oh well, it's a gimmick I doubt I will ever use.

21. macrumors 6502

Panorama on 4S with iOS6.0 is definitely there but no use to me as I already have several purchased panorama apps that have better interfaces. Too little too late Apple, unless you'll refund for the apps :D.

22. macrumors 6502

Surely that wouldn't have been a soul reason to upgrade? There are apps that allow you to get panorama photos. It's nothing incredible imo.

23. macrumors 6502

24. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Hopefully that becomes the norm, until some software that actually needs awesome hardware comes along.

I think at the A5 we ended up at a plateau where more CPU speed is nice, but not really necessary for the current iOS interface.

25. macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

no , under options i see only raster ..

4s works, just have done it.