Panther 10.3.2 Print PROBLEM with Lexmark Optra M410n

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by zulf, Jan 6, 2004.

1. zulf macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Has anyone else had problems with printing after installing 10.3.2?

Since installing Panther 10.3.2 my long time faithful printer (Lexmark Optra M410n USB 4MB) displays a "Flushing Buffer" message in the LCD everytime I go to print - and then no print appears. In the manual it says that this means it is flushing corrupted print data and discarding the current print job!

The mac sees the printer okay and sends the file off to it fine. When I selected error reporting on the printer it prints a page with the following message:
    ERROR: undefined

What has caused this? If anyone out there has had the same issue (Lexmark or other printing problem?) please let me know. A solution would be a god send!

The only thing I wonder about regarding a cause is that I had the printer connected and on whilst I performed the laborious OS X 10.3 update (the 10.3.2 update I downloaded immediately after)

My mac setup is: iMac 400Mhz 320MB/10GB.

I have an external firewire 400 hard drive I have not dare reconnect yet!

How does one revert back to 10.2?

Help Please.
    Thanks folks,

2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I would look on Lexmark's website for an updated printer driver. If there is no updated driver then I would check out the Gimp Print drivers and see if you can find one that works.

I wouldn't revert back to Jaguar (OS X.2) over a silly printer issue. You spent $129 for it so why throw it away because your printer doesn't work. Printers are extremely cheap these days and provide pretty darn good printing. If you don't need color you can even get an Brother HL1440 Laser Printer for $129 online! Thats damn cheap for a good laser printer.

If you do want to go back to Jaguar then you'll have to re-wipe your system and put a fresh copy on there. You cannot put an older OS over top of a new one. I wouldn't recommend it even if it was possible. You would be just asking for trouble.

I would stay with Panther. Its a great OS upgrade in my opinion!
  3. jacg macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2003
    Perhaps it should "just work"

I'm waiting for the 10.3.3 patch that will suposedly fix the broken printing to HP laserjets via USB-Parallel cables (a feature introduced with 10.3.2). And no, I don't intend to replace my trusty workhorse 5MP.