Panther (10.3) Pricing?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 7, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

MacBidouille cites sources "close to Apple" which claims that all G5 buyers will get a free (S&H) upgrade to Panther. They warn that nothing is confirmed.

Apple has not yet provided any official details on Panther upgrade pricing.

2. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

That sure is nice of Apple. Although I don't really understand why. What makes G5 buyers different than the buyers of eMacs or iBooks? Only people on the rumor scene ever suggested G5 buyers would get a free (or $20) Panther upgrade. Apple never said such a thing.

I am very skeptical to say the least.

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

5. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Pssh. I hereby dismiss this rumor as ludicrous!

6. macrumors member

In the article it talks about only computers bought after apple expo is this paris. Also can you put the savings on a new computer to one of those family packs?

7. macrumors newbie

I have a G5, and I can say with certainty that everything isn't perfect with 10.2.7. Audio glitches are especially noticeable for me. There are no big problems, but there are a LOT of differences between G4's and G5's, and basically all Apple did with 10.2.7 was re-compile 10.2.6, add a few new drivers and call it good enough. 10.3 is MADE for the G5. That's why they haven't even bothered with a G5 X-Serve yet. And that's why even the Virginia Tech supercomputer cluster is running BETA versions of 10.3 right now instead of 10.2.7.

I believe this could be true (mostly because I really really hope it is true), but even if it's not, I'm buying it.

8. macrumors 6502a

Maybe to make up for all the shuffling of our ship dates. And the fact that they made more effort to optimize Panther for the G5 than 10.2.7, they may want their top machines performing at their best.

As a G5 owner I can only hope, as work isn't about to shell out 130 bucks to update a computer that just arrived last week.

However, given apples stand on free upgrades I seriously doubt this is true.

9. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Usually the Mac OS "Up-to-Date" program (the 19.95 s&h) covers machines that ship (or are in channel) that don't have the newest OS -- or a specific machine.

Can't remember the details...

10. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Took the words right out of my mouth

11. macrumors 6502a

blueflame

so, if i bought a 17 inch AluBook in january, i got those coupons too, what good are they? do they do ANything useful?
    Andreas

12. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

probably not, but we won't know until Apple says.

arn

13. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, I've got a question about those coupons. I just got a new 12" albook so I have some coupons... but they seem to have no date or identifying marks on them. So how would those prove to apple that I bought a computer in the last month?

14. dho
    macrumors 6502

applemacdude:

I guess they might be doing rumors that don't clearly violate someones NDA.

or maybe just the steve factor:
    "if it pisses off his steveniess then we wont announce it"

who knows

15. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It does seem odd that they'd do a free upgrade for G5 owners. But who knows...I'd just be happy with a release date posted and if we're really lucky, a pre-order option within the next week.

16. macrumors 6502a

Genie

I would love it... but I'm not placing much stock in this rumor.

17. macrumors newbie

Every other release?

I recall at some point Apple saying that they would only charge for every other upgrade... pay for 10.0, 10.1 is free.... 10.2 was a pay, so wouldn't that mean 10.3 is free? :) I like the idea of free, but does anyone remember something like this, or I am I just delusional?

18. macrumors 601

stoid

I know that Jaguar was free for education for awhile. Was that right away, or did they wait a month before that offer?

19. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Re: Every other release?

It was past speculation. Apple said 10.3 will be $130.

20. macrumors newbie

I think anybody who bought a G4 or G5 with in 30 days of the release should get the free upgrade or at least the shipping cost. Either way. I am getting it. Cheers

21. macrumors member

22. macrumors member

stoid, that was a loooong time after jag was released

23. macrumors 603

I wouldn't call it a surprise if Apple didn't do this, but it's the same sort of thing Apple has done in the past, so it seems pretty logical, likely even.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Powerbooks, though. But who knows, Apple might be in a giving mood...

In a more general vein, I do wish Apple would institute a bit of an upgrade program. $130 is reasonable, even for an upgrade, but it makes people feel a lot better if you give them at least a bit of a discount when they paid for the last version too. Even a $99 upgrade.

On the every other upgrade free thing, although Steve might've said something along the lines when 10.2 was announced, or it might've been speculation--I don't remember.

I thought, though, that the comment was about .5 releases of Classic being cheap, with full point releases being full price. I don't know if that's how it actually was, but if that isthe case then it would stand to reason that 10.3 is a full-price upgrade; Apple's doing all oh-point upgrades free now, and other than 10.0-10.1, which was huge but as much as anything bugfixes, it looks like every OSX "point" release is easily the equivalent of a Classic full version increase--the differences between 10.1 and 10.2 were way bigger than 8.0 to 9.0 at least.

24. macrumors 6502

I don't think it's odd at all, considering us G5 owners just forked out a lot of cash (read: my entire income for this quarter), as long as waiting for MONTHS, plus putting our faith in a rev 1 product... yep, I reckon we deserve it.

My 0.02.

25. macrumors 68000

Lancetx