Panther and SMB Workgroup Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobindashadows, Nov 21, 2003.

1. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

I have quite a problem with Panther and am considering installing a new partition with Jaguar on it. Panther completely ****s up SMB, as now I cannot access the "WORKGROUP" workgroup. My Workgroup in Directory Access is set to "WORKGROUP", and I get all other workgroups ("MSHOME" "HOME FULL" and a few others) but I don't get WORKGROUP. Any ideas or explanations?

2. ksz macrumors 68000

Workgroup connection management seems flaky and erratic in Panther. Someone suggested connecting explicitly to a shared drive and this has worked well for me.

From one of the Finder pulldown menus (sorry, don't have a Mac in front of me) choose "Connect to a Server" and specify the servername and username as follows:

smb://user@server

If you know the name of the shared drive you can append that as well:

smb://user@server/sharename

If you omit the sharename, Panther will display a drop-down list showing all the shared drives available on the specified server. You can simply pick one from there.

If the Windows account has a password, you'll be prompted for it.

If the connection succeeds, the shared drive will appear as a new disk icon.