Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mechamac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
SO, I'm getting Panther tomorrow and I want to clean install. All my own files are backed up and ready, but the apps that came with my iMac (1GB bought in Feb) are another story.

For apps like Sound Studio & iDVD, all I have is the software install/restore DVD that came with my computer. Can I install Panther and then put these apps back safely with the DVD? There seems to be no option to install only a few apps - the DVD's installer wants to (try to) put everything back on my machine. Should I let it? What to do?

thanks for any help.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
The software install CD will probably install older (non-panther-compatible) versions of system apps that also ship with panther (like iTunes, etc.). You might be able to extract the individual apps off of the restore CD with Pacifist, but you'd have to wait until they update it for panther.

Basically, there's probably a way to do it, but it's still a good idea to back up all of those apps...

mechamac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Right, my understanding (if Panther is anything like Jag was) is that basic iApps like iTunes & iPhoto will be installed with Jag from the Jag CDs. But iDVD and, say, the multimedia encyclopedia that came bundled won't.

mechamac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Nobody with iDVD is in the same boat?

Panther by 3 for me - I guess I'll know then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.