Panther available to download?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ArchiStudentG5, Oct 24, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Is Panther going to be available for download? Or do I need to get off my ass and get to the store? :mad: I want it NOW... pshh...

2. macrumors 603

Not legally. Get yourself to a store if you're lucky enough to live near one. I sure wish I could've bought it via a download, too, but Apple's not going there any time soon.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder if the store that SELLS Apple products around here will have it. Err... the university will have it I guess. Can I get the G5 discount AND the edu discount?

4. macrumors 65816

Stike

Hey, interesting thought here!
    Apple iTunes Software Store, anyone? :D

5. macrumors 603

By G5 discount, I assume you mean the Up To Date program that gets it to you for $20 if you bought a G5 without Panther. In which case, the answer is no; as far as I know you always have to go through Apple's website and order the upgrade online if you want the cheap pricing. That's the boat I'm in, but so it goes.

Maybe you know someone else who is planning to buy a copy... in which case you could order your upgrade copy off Apple's site, but install a locally bought copy legitimately while you're waiting for it to ship.

6. macrumors 68020

daveL

As long as you follow through, that seems like a great way to do it!

7. macrumors regular

You can only get the G5 discount online, I don't know about edu...... and you can almost never combine them... it'd be free.

8. macrumors 6502a

you can't combine 2 discounts.

and you can't download it free. go to apple store, or to apple.com and get it from there.

9. Moderator emeritus

Sure, Megabyte Computer Center will have it.

Ask iJon--it's his parents' store.

10. macrumors regular

Actually, you can. And I know where. But I ordered it anyway, b/c I don't believe in stealing things as big as OS's.

11. Moderator emeritus

Don't you wonder whether it's been sabotaged, though? ;)

12. macrumors 603

That's exactly why I'm highly wary of downloading something major like an OS on the sly, even if I'm buying it legit anyway (in which case it would theoretically be ok to do, same as downloading an MP3 of a song on a CD you own instead of ripping it yourself).

Yes, you might just get your hands on it sooner, but there's a good chance you'll end up with a mislabled developer build or much worse, and for my OS, that's not even close to worth the risk.

13. Moderator emeritus

It's especially susceptible since the whole Darwin core can is open source and can be easily modified, then made to look like XNU without the downloader realising the differences.

14. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Do you really want to download 4 CD's worth?

15. macrumors 6502a

well yes, you can download it free. like you can download free M$ office, photoshop, soundtrack, every possible application that costs a lot of money.

but OS X is not linux. you can't LEGALLY have the right to download it. you CAN download soundtrack, panther, photoshop, M$ paid programs, whatever warez you want, but a downloaded 10.3 is not a LEGAL version, it is warez.

16. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

ADC members can download Panther legally.

17. macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

BUT: If he was ADC, PAID ADC, he would know where to get it free.

And not all ADCs get it free, e.g. I'm ADC and got just a paid version of it.

18. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

And if you're ADC, you paid for ADC membership, therefore you aren't getting a free download :D