panther=betaware

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by thumper, Dec 2, 2003.

1. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

i installed panther when it first came out, i had to reformat back into 10.2.8 cuz almost nothing worked in 10.3 and if it did, it would crash.
    using panther made PC's on XP look rock solid.

its now 2months later and i still dont think ill be reinstalling panther.
    i cannt see anyone who needs their apps to work 100% of the time
    using panther. infact it seem panther is only good for internet chatting and surfing the web(if safari doesnt crash on you)

progams i use - protools
    cubase
    logic
    flash
    PS: cs
    VPC 6
    illustrator 10
    all these progams were clichy as heck, most didnt even open.
    i'm a little mad about these cuz i was in the middle of 3 big projects when i installed panther which caused the biggest computer mess i have ever seen.

i was told before i installed it that it worked great and every thing ran good on it.
    after i realized that the people who told me this only use there mac for chatting on forums and to show off their flashy mac to pc users, tryin to 'convert' them.

anyways, i just wished they would of waited till panther was really ready.
    no one wants a beta OS, unless your only into showing it off like your a rep at a trade show.

2. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I find it really odd what kind of problems some people seem to have with Panther. I installed it right the next day after it was released and besides the known issues (e.g. FontBook or working in heterogenous networks) I didn't have any major problems. And I am not just surfing the net, I am earning money with my Macs on a daily basis.

But it is true that Panther in some situations doesn't seem to be as stable as Jaguar. I had a few reproducable situations when the machine hung itself without return. But to call that "not usable" is far from reality for me...

groovebuster

P.S.: ... but in all honesty, who is upgrading to a new OS version in the middle of 3 major projects in progress? Also with the Macs the old rule applies: Never change a running system!

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Re: panther=betaware

Funny, these three work fine for me...

I did a clean install...did you?

4. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

For me, Panther is faster and more stable (in terms of apps) that Jaguar. The only problem I have is that I foolishly destroyed Finder. But I am still using Panther without Finder as opposed to switching back to Jaguar. (I cannot find my Panther disks at the moment)

5. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I didn't like some of the new features they added to panther, but i have had no problems what so ever, i even have got used to the new features that hae been added.

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I think everyone needs their apps to work 100% of the time, and just not on Panther. I suppose you had meant that nobody has their apps working 100% of the time using Panther.. I dunno..

Anyway, if you are in the middle of 3 big projects, why would you start upgrading your OS? I think prioritizing would have helped greatly here.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

All of my apps work 100% of the time with Panther. It's been great so far. I had a few problems with a couple of third party programs not working correctly, but updates fixed those, Backup was fixed when Backup 2 came out, and the networking issues were fixed after adjusting a few settings. It took all of a week before I got it working flawlessly and customized exactly to my liking and now Panther is one of the coolest things I've seen yet on a computer.

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

topic title=FUD

Because you have an issue with your system or possible install and the other thousands of us don't, you conclude 10.3 is betaware? That's just so dumb that it's hard to type this response. Rather then name calling and spitting, shin kicking knee jerk reaction, why not try to, uh, clean install it? Ah, run a disk utility to see if your 'flashy mac' may be experiencing some issues?

Sounds like a typical troll post. Says he's a mac user, talks a lot of PCs being better then belittles something mac related then tries to look sympathetic. More like pathetic.

If you are indeed experiencing issues wouldn't your main goal be to ah, let's see, ASK FOR HELP? :rolleyes:

9. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

troll?

i have a new 17" powerbook. and love it.
    and i love apple... most of the time.

i guess i'm a troll to panther,but apple noway. but i also dont judge people by what kinda computer they have. thats a little too geeky for me.
    PC's are great for games but ill only do my audio work on a mac.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Panther worked fine for me from the first install. Its faster and my apps crash the same amount (maybe one app crashes per week).

11. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Correct.
    thumper You haven't formulated an objective post. So don't avait useful answers. Just crying around that Panther is not useable is more than nonesense. Most of the people on the boards use panther on a daily base and haven't all the problems you mentioned.
    I haven't got any of those. None to be precise... And I am working all day long on that system.

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Re: Re: panther=betaware

Man, this drives me nuts....

If Apple can't properly design an update installer, they shouldn't offer it.

It's absolutely absurd that one should have to fix permissions, run disk first aid, update prebinding, etc. just to get a System installed correctly. These type of functions should be built into the installer if they need to be run.

We shouldn't have to make excuses for Panther having so many bad installs...

13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

An updater isn't just an issue with Apple, look at windows...thats issues for you.

But on the otherhand its the best thing to do for windows as well. Start with a clean install. I did, and i got no problems other than the finder relaunching itself if i try and drag more than 3 items off the desktop.

14. Col127 macrumors 6502

i upgraded from jaguar 10.2.7 and i had no problems at all in panther, aside from having to upgrade my toast from 5.1.2. panther works great, it's a heck of a lot faster in boot time, app launching, etc. generally much more snappier!

but i'm planning to do a clean install sometime later, since i was in my school semester when i upgraded (couldn't wait to install it, but didn't have time to reinstall all my apps)

15. GigaWire macrumors 6502

For Pro Tools alone you should not have upgraded. Digidesign has had their Panther compatibility roadmap laid out for months which told you when it would work with Panther, which sorry to say, was not 2 months ago. Make informed decisions, and you will make informed posts, not rants for failures that really fall squarely on your own shoulders, and not a .0 version of an OPERATING SYSTEM.

16. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

I've been reading the last few threads about people complaining about panther. I am sorry they ran into such problems since I havent had any flaws with it, but on the contrary - its faster and a lot smoother.

If you know your applications/drivers may not support or be fully optimized for a higher version of the OS, then avoid the upgrade. I work in a vfx company and on their editing sys dual 800 with cinewave card, the latest support available is for the 10.2.8.

I personally think 10.3 wouldnt cause any problems, however I think my boss acts responsibly when he waits till all hardware gets drivers updates.

For some people here things are simpler and I'm sorry Panther wasnt working flawlessly for them.