Panther boot up times vs. Jaguar boot up times - G3 900mhz!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hob, Jan 6, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    Ok... I have a G3 900MHz, iBook (still wish i'd found out bout the G4 in time :rolleyes: ) anyway, I'm considering buying Panther sometime in the future, but my big question is - have you noticed increased/decreased boot times vs. jag?

The one embarassing feature on my iBook is the boot up time which is phenominal! It can easily take a good 2 minutes from boot, including the gear spinny thingy, which as a recent switcher bragging about my iBook can be embarassing!

OS 9 gets past it's equiv. of the gear spinny thing in about 5 seconds - but OS X seems to take 90 seconds, THEN the other bit with the % bar... Why?

am i waffling on?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  3. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2003
    I have a iBook 933mhz with 640MB RAM, and Panther, it took for ever to load, very close to two minutes. I applied the fix mentioned above and now it boots in less than 40 seconds. I am very happy with it now.

I don't boot the computer much, I just usually put it to sleep, but the improved boot time makes it nice when I have to restart.
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I have a Dual USB 500 MHz iBook running Mac OS X.3.2 and it boots noticeably faster than Jaguar after you apply the fix for the OS X.3.2 update.

Also I have a 1 GHz G4 iMac and it boots in about 20 seconds from chime to me seeing my desktop. It boots extremely fast!

Panther also installs very fast! I can do a complete install of Mac OS X.3 on my iMac in about 15 minutes. Try that with your windows PC!